The support forum

CreateFile() failed with 665

b-it :

Sep 07, 2017

The initial backup went well. But try now to update the backup I get a lot of "CreateFile() failed with 665" errors, i.e.
2017.09.07 11:18:51.599 (UTC+1) 3 4                 Context: \\?\X:\C\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\rsod\office.x-none.msi.16.x-none.tree.dat.bvckup
Any hints? Thanks!

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 07, 2017

"665" stands for "The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation". I've never seen this error before in my 20+ years of dealing with Windows.

Googling it up shows this - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/psssql/2015/06/10/operating-system-error-665-file-system-limitation-not-just-for-dbcc-anymore/ - which points at heavy NTFS fragmentation as a cause. But it can be something else and your guess is as good as mine here. This is not an error that can be resolved by changing some Bvckup 2 setting. It's appears to be an issue at the file system level.

b-it :

Sep 11, 2017

I did some tests now and the problem arises always with huge backups mit around 2 mio files. HDD is always fresh partitioned and formatted. The initial backup is always good but the reread becomes unusable. I have to use now AOMEI backup again for this.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 11, 2017

What are you backing up to?
Is it going over the network by any chance?

While Bvckup 2 uses asynchronous disk reading/writing, it still issues all write requests in order. However if these go over the network, there is a chance that requests get re-ordered in flight and so the file ends up being written in a random pattern => potentially leading to excessive NTFS fragmentation.

In terms of working around this issue - you can try and switch this backup job to use Windows' own copying routine (the one used by Windows Explorer). See this post for instructions - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/611/3485

Though this _is_ a workaround. If it were my setup, I'd probably spend some time trying to isolate the underlying cause. Something somewhere is fundamentally off.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms