The support forum

Multiple Users on a Home PC

MWorthington :

Jul 24, 2017

Hi Alex,

I have a new PC, C drive is an SSD, data is on a separate D drive, Windows 10. I have 4 users, and have moved their "User"  folders from C to D.

I guess it's irrelevant where the User folders actually reside, but the question is this, please; can I set up Bvckup 2 to monitor in real-time the relevant User Documents folder (for example)?

So when Mark is logged-in, the source folder would be "D:\USERS\Mark\Documents\", for Martha it would be "D:\USERS\Martha\Documents\", etc.

I was thinking about using "%USERPROFILE%" but that doesn't seem to work.

Regards,

Mark

Froggie :

Jul 24, 2017

Why not just monitor them all with a single Bvckup and multiple backup tasks, one for each of those folders?  When that user isn't on, the task will never run unless there are changes.

MWorthington :

Jul 24, 2017

Yes, good suggestion, that occurred to me. Then I thought I'd be clever and use "%USERPROFILE%", found it didn't work, so decided to ask Alex :)

I think the answer lies somewhere in a "server mode", which would be too much for my home use.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 24, 2017

So to clarify - the goal is to have real-time backup active if and only if there's a logged in user?

If yes, then the simplest option is just to set up a job for each user *while logged in as that user*. Then, when you log in under A, an instance of Bvckup will run using config from A's profile, which will have a real-time job for A's data. Same for users B, C and D. If more than one user is logged in, you will have more than instance of Bvckup running in parallel, independently, each feeding from respective user's config.

Alternatively, you can indeed switch the program in service mode and then set up 4 real-time jobs, each covering its own user profile folder.

MWorthington :

Jul 25, 2017

Alex,

Thanks for that. If A is admin, that user would also have all the manual jobs (and lots of them). Non-admin users B, C & D would have just one job.

Thinking more .... and maybe this is just a thought experiment ....

4 users, 1 admin, 3 standard
Presently, Bvckup 2 installed and available to each user

However, only admin should be able to access Bvckup 2 (and only one set of backup jobs to create and manage)
Real-time back up of ALL user folders, whoever is logged in

So, limit Bvckup 2 programme access via Local Group Policy (Windows 10 Pro)
Run Bvckup 2 in service mode
Set up 1 real-time job, which monitors the top level User folder (this would therefore be active whoever is logged in, and in any combination)

Sounds reasonable? I'm not missing something?!

I assume that when the admin logs in, all the manual backups will be available, as if in normal desktop mode?

I have read https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/799, and see no issues with network shares (all drives are local to the PC).

Is there any other documentation that you might point me to, please?

Regards,

Mark

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 25, 2017

You are overthinking it, Mark. Or rather - what you described is a correct approach, but there's nothing complicated about setting it up.

Under Admin user:

1. Menu > Options > Preferences > Show "Switch mode" option
2. Menu > Options > Switch mode
3. Add a single real-time job for C:\Users,
    adjust to exclude what you don't want

That's it.

The backup engine will now run as a service and the UI will connect/disconnect when you launch bvckup2.exe under the logged in user.

If you want to prevent non-admins from even starting bvckup2.exe, then do indeed apply the Local Group Policy. Alternatively, you can lock down UI's access to the service using this -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/452/2605

MWorthington :

Jul 25, 2017

Thanks, Alex!

MWorthington :

Jul 26, 2017

Alex,

What's the multi-user arrangement for a Personal Licence? In my case, one PC and 4 people will access it .... but when I created a non-admin user profile and ran Bvckup 2 whem logged in as that user, it shows a fresh instance and requests licence info.

Regards,

Mark

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 27, 2017

Just use the original code to activate each install and they all will receive the copy of the original license.

Alternatively, you can find bvckup2.lic file in the first install's %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\engine folder and clone it to the respective folders of secondary installs. Restart them afterwards and they should be set.

MWorthington :

Jul 27, 2017

OK, thanks!

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy