The support forum

Can't backup from top level of networked server

miggity :

Jul 17, 2017

I have a networked server that I am manually connecting to on my Win 7 machine.  I can run backups to and from the server just fine, however I can't select the top level \\SERVER\ folder and just have it backup everything on the server.  When I select \\SERVER\ I get ""you can't open this location using this program""

I instead have to do a separate task for each folder contained on \\SERVER\

Now this isn't a big issue at all, but I'm curious if I'm missing something here.  Thanks for the insight!

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 17, 2017

While \\Server is a valid Windows networking path, it is an incomplete path as far as Windows file system stack is concerned. The minimum valid file system path is a server name + share name, i.e. \\Server\Share.

That's pretty much like you can't specify a physical disk to include all its partitions in one swoop.

Froggie :

Jul 17, 2017

Alex, if he mapped his \\SERVER\ to a drive letter, could he perform the operation he wants?

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 17, 2017

Well, if miggity would managethat, it'd be nothing short of a miracle, because you just can't do that :) It needs to be a share.

Though what miggity *can* do is drop symlinks to all shared folders into some other folder and share that one out. Not quite the same, but close.

miggity :

Jul 18, 2017

As I don't' actually need to backup all the folders and there are <10, I'm just doing individual folder backups at the \\SERVER\Share level.  Thanks for the input.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms