The support forum

Can't backup from top level of networked server

miggity :

Jul 17, 2017

I have a networked server that I am manually connecting to on my Win 7 machine.  I can run backups to and from the server just fine, however I can't select the top level \\SERVER\ folder and just have it backup everything on the server.  When I select \\SERVER\ I get ""you can't open this location using this program""

I instead have to do a separate task for each folder contained on \\SERVER\

Now this isn't a big issue at all, but I'm curious if I'm missing something here.  Thanks for the insight!

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 17, 2017

While \\Server is a valid Windows networking path, it is an incomplete path as far as Windows file system stack is concerned. The minimum valid file system path is a server name + share name, i.e. \\Server\Share.

That's pretty much like you can't specify a physical disk to include all its partitions in one swoop.

Froggie :

Jul 17, 2017

Alex, if he mapped his \\SERVER\ to a drive letter, could he perform the operation he wants?

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 17, 2017

Well, if miggity would managethat, it'd be nothing short of a miracle, because you just can't do that :) It needs to be a share.

Though what miggity *can* do is drop symlinks to all shared folders into some other folder and share that one out. Not quite the same, but close.

miggity :

Jul 18, 2017

As I don't' actually need to backup all the folders and there are <10, I'm just doing individual folder backups at the \\SERVER\Share level.  Thanks for the input.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Blog / RSS
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms