The support forum

Windows indexing files generate sync errors

Magno :

Jun 01, 2017

I recently instructed Windows 10 to index files and file contents for certain file types in my Projects folder on hard drive (D:), which is synced in real time to hard drive (E:). After I activated Windows indexing, Bvckup 2 genererates these types of error messages each time it syncs the Project folder:
Error: file not found

The files Bvckup cannot find are obviously Windows search/indexing files, like the following:
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy111\User1\Work\Projects\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb

The file path for this file in Windows Explorer is
D:\User1\Work\Projects\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb

The errors go away when I exclude "D:\User1\Work\Projects\Search\" from the sync job. However, since these indexing files are difficult to sync and are of no interest to the normal user, couldn't Bvckup just exclude them automatically like it does with \hiberfil.sys, \$Recycle.bin, .tmp files etc., to avoid these unnecessary error messages? To avoid these errors completely when I set up new sync jobs containg indexed folders, could I create a general rule somewhere to exclude files with the extensions .edb, .jtx, .jfm, .Crwl and .gthr, and easily apply that rule to any future sync job?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 01, 2017

To avoid these errors completely when I set up new sync jobs containg indexed folders, could I create a general rule somewhere to exclude files with the extensions .edb, .jtx, .jfm, .Crwl and .gthr, and easily apply that rule to any future sync job?

Backup Settings > Backup What > [bottom panel]

Alternatively, you could _probably_ resolve these errors by changing

Backup Settings > More Options > Shadow Copying   =>  Require

This will tell the program to create shadow copying at the beginning of a backup run, so it will end up working with a static snapshot of the source.

Magno :

Jun 01, 2017

Thanks, I'll try that in future. :-)

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy