The support forum

Large # files, need for speed...

dlenos :

May 30, 2017

We have 3+ million files we want to copy to a NAS - I created a job to scan and copy them - ran fine. Now I would like a job to monitor continuously and copy new files real time to the NAS - no need to check - just send them over, overwrite if exists. Ideally we would 'rescan' and sync the source and NAS weekly or bi-weekly to cover any misses - but between those runs we just want the software to detect and copy - not query, or maintain any sync db for the source or dest. Possible?

Alex Pankratov :

May 30, 2017

It's possible to a certain degree, but not exactly how you described it.

When a backup is run it basically goes through
(a) scanning phase
(b) planning phase
(c) execution phase

The output of (a) is two file trees - one for source (what we "want"), another for destination (what we "have"). These are fed into the planner that spits out a list of simple atomic steps - create folder, copy file, delete this, move that, etc. - that when executed in order transform "have" into "want."

Now, the relevant bit here is that the "have" tree may either be obtained by scanning destination *or* by recycling its copy from the last run. This is referred to as "destination snapshot" and it's controlled by "Detecting Changes" option in Backup Settings.

What this allows is avoiding the need to rescan destination on every run,
so this gives you a part of what you are after.

But the caveat is that the app expects this snapshot to be in sync with actual destination contents. If it happens to run into an inconsistency, e.g. it tries to create a folder, but it already exists, then it aborts the run and restarts it with a full destination re-scan.

In other words, if you are "touching" the contents of your destination folder between the backup runs, you won't be able to use Bvckup 2 to do a "lazy-ass" sync.

dlenos :

May 30, 2017

Thanks. No we do not touch the destination folder at all.  What surprises me is how often (every detection) it scans the source - which is totally unnecessary.

Any possibility of having a bare bones, detect it - copy it - mode?

dlenos :

May 30, 2017

It appears to 'scan' the entire source every time it detects a new file - this does not according to your reply appear normal - are my settings wrong?

Alex Pankratov :

May 30, 2017

This is an expected behavior.

The notification that bvckup2 gets from Windows basically says "hey, something changed in the folder you are interested in." The only way to understand what changed exactly is to scan it and compare to an earlier state of the same tree.

There are two other options for monitoring file system changes, but both of them come with caveats. See this post for a bit more context on this -
https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/405/2438

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint