The support forum

Dreaded Error 59

ikonik :

Apr 09, 2017

I have had to greatly reduce my use of Bvkcup because of Error 59 when backing up a NAS (WD MyCloud EX2) to an external USB hard drive. This regardless of hard drive and regardless of whether the target drive is connected to a hub or directly to the PC.

The error does not occur when backing up from an external SSD to the NAS. Only when backing up from the NAS to external HD.

It was suggested on the forum that a ticket be opened with the NAS manufacturer. But the NAS has extensive diagnostics which indicate it is running fine. I also noticed that users of other models of NAS have had this issue.

Instead, I now have to connect the external destination HD directly to the NAS and run the NAS' internal software to perform backups, which is less convenient and controllable than Bvckup.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 09, 2017

"Error 59" is "An unexpected network error occurred"

This generally means that some part of the connection between local machine and its remote peer crapped out. It can be an intermediate router or WiFi access point caving under a load or it can be a software component (a daemon) dying on the WD device. Based on what I saw in the past, the latter is _far_ more likely, which is the reason for the "let your NAS vendor know" suggestion.

The thing is that Bvckup 2 tends to push devices quite a bit. It won't be the first time it managed to flush some obscure bug that slipped by the device vendor's QA.

What you can try is to dumb down Bvckup 2 by telling it to use Windows native file copying routine - this will result in a subpar performance, but it is likely to be compatible with how WD tested their devices. See here for details - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/611/3485

ikonik :

Apr 10, 2017

Unfortunately both the settings.ini and the override.ini methods failed with #59 as before.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 10, 2017

Check in the backup log:

2017.04.10 01:00:00.042 (UTC+1) 2 1     Preparing ...
2017.04.10 01:00:00.042 (UTC+1) 3 2         Copying: contents, timestamps ... 2017.04.10 01:00:00.042 (UTC+1) 3 3             Using system copier

If you don't see "Using _system_ copier", then the INI changes weren't applied correctly. If you do and you still get Error 59, then it's a general issue with your setup - you should have the same problem using Windows Explorer.

I'd check the Event log on your host machine, see if there's anything relevant or interesting around the time of failure. Check your NAS _logs_ (rather than its status/diagnostic) and also check router logs. The difference between backing up *to* NAS and *from* NAS is the direction in which the bulk of data flows, so this might have something to do with that.

ikonik :

Apr 10, 2017

Thank you Alex. After setting the config to 1 it is using system copier and copying in full, but the operation aborts as before.

I attempted to copy files directly from the NAS to an external USB HDD, simply using Windows Explorer and not Bvckup. This too aborted with Windows reporting a network error. I have never before seen such a thing.

I have also changed network cables to no effect. The router logs don't indicate anything unusual. I will try using a different PC.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms