The support forum

Unselecting/exclude sub-folders included when starting with empty list

ScottD-KMHA :

Apr 07, 2017

Here is a feature request I may have brought up, out of context or before it was possible, in another topic.  Now that "conf.dst.filters.as_source" feature is in place, perhaps this request would be feasible?

It would be very helpful if we were able to use the "What to backup" -> Details button -> Start with an empty list -> include -> and then click a top level folder (check box it), but then be able to unselect/uncheck/exclude a sub-folder below that.

Currently, you can only select to include the top level folder with no choice to then exclude the sub-folders or sub-files below that.  A lot of times we have continuously changing log files, cache files, or temp files that we don't need to waste time or resources syncing.  It would be very beneficial if we could unselect to ignore these sub-folders/files but still be able to target the remaining folders (at that same level) or any new folders/files added under the top-level folder that is check marked, etc.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 10, 2017

This is already on a ToDo list, but it's not an easy change to make under app's existing design. This is due to the fact that the filtering system is organized as a set of 3 settings -

1. Initial action - include all, exclude all
    2. A list of items with reverse action
    3. A general list of rules

It's exactly what you see in the UI. Allowing to exclude items of explicitly included folders will require changing the semantics of #2 and it's not a simple change.

That said, it's a very natural feature to have, so we'll get it done.

Meanwhile, the workaround is to use generic rules (in 3rd section) to exclude what you don't need. Not as convenient, of course, but should make do as a crutch.

ScottD-KMHA :

Apr 10, 2017

Fair enough.  Thank you.

ScottD-KMHA :

May 25, 2017

Just wanted to check back for any progress made on this request.  I've been struggling with this more and more lately with many of our newer systems.  My goal is to have a Bvckup2 set that is pointed to the F: drive of primary server as Source and F: drive of backup server as Destination, using "Start with an empty list" and then selecting the folders I need, BUT I need to ensure that any new folders added into the second level of the directory are automatically included.  

For instance, I select to include "F:\Exa\Images\2017\" and I DO NOT select to include "F:\Exa\Images\2016\"...but when a "F:\Exa\Images\2018\" folder is newly created into the "F:\Exa\Images\" folder, I need it to be automatically included.  The easiest way to do this is to simply select to include "F:\Exa\Images\" and then unselect "F:\Exa\Images\2016\".  As you know, this is currently not possible.

I've been experimenting with selecting to include "F:\Exa\Images\" (leaving every sub-folder selected) and then adding an exclude rule of "*\2016\".  I think it will work (testing now), but I foresee the more exclude rules that need to be added...the harder it will be to teach this to other installers or explain this in my instructions.

All that said...just checking on the status of having a hope this feature will be added to Bvckup2.  I've made some strides with the workaround, but would much prefer we be able to deselect the sub-directory of a selected top directory when starting with an empty list.

Alex Pankratov :

May 26, 2017

We didn't get to this yet, sorry.

This is one of the changes that will break a fundamental assumption that existing code is built upon, meaning that we'll need to redo (and retest) quite a bit.

I will have a bit of spare time next week. Let me have a look and I will be able to give you an idea when this might get done.

PS. The exclude rule alternative *will* work. You can also fix the exact level of the subfolders to be excluded using .\*\*\*\Xyz syntax. The leading . anchors the patter to the top of the source directory, so this particular rule will match Xyz folders in sub-sub-sub-folder at the source location.

ScottD-KMHA :

May 30, 2017

Very helpful.  Thank you.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 14, 2017

Let me have a look and I will be able to give you an idea when this might get done.

Took a bit longer to follow-up on this, but the good news is that this is tentatively scheduled for the next maintenance release (77.10), so it shouldn't be long now.

ScottD-KMHA :

Jun 29, 2017

Fantastic.  This will give us greater flexibility, save setup time, and help us to make less exclusion rule mistakes (accidentally making exclusion wild cards too broad).  Looking forward to this release.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 30, 2017

Scott, working on this right now. Rather than folding it into a smaller maintenance release, it will be one of principal new features of release 78. Please bear with us a bit longer.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 12, 2017

An update - https://bvckup2.com/wip/12072017 - almost there.

ScottD-KMHA :

Jul 15, 2017

That looks perfect.  Any ideas on ballpark ETA for this 78 release?

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 15, 2017

Aiming for the second week of August. This is not the only large change in the release, hence the timing.

ScottD-KMHA :

Jul 18, 2017

Understood.  Looking forward to this one.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms