The support forum

Using Bvckup 2 with MTP

STBOUK :

Mar 27, 2017

Bvckup2 is by far the best backup utility that I have discovered but there is one scenario that so far I have found it able to cover.

How can I use Bvckup 2 as an efficient way of adding additional files to a folder on my Android smartphone each time it is connected to my computer  via USB?

My challenge is that because the Android device uses the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) it is not being recognised as a storage volume so isn't assigned a drive letter when connected by USB to my Windows 10 computer .  No, I don't want to set up a server on the Android device which is so far the nearest I have come to a "solution"! :)

Sincere thanks for any advice.

Froggie :

Mar 27, 2017

I'm speaking off the top of my head here :-)... but if there's a Windows-based Android syncing tool that uses MTP, can't you just have Bvckup2 manage its SOURCE folder under Windows (a 2-tool solution)?

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 27, 2017

@STBOUK - You will need to find a way to mount your smartphone storage as a file system addressable object. That is, your only hope (except Obi Wan) is to find some sort of virtual drive software that can be hooked up to an MTP host. There's plenty of options like that for virtualizing FTP server and SCP locations, so I suspect there should be an MTP-aware one as well.

STBOUK :

Mar 28, 2017

Thank you, Froggie and Alex.  I've been down both of those routes and decided it was getting too complicated especially as it has to be seamless plug-and-play for everyone in my household (none of whom bar myself are remotely techie) even when I am not at home.  As a last gasp I hoped that Bvckup 2 would itself have a way of addressing the phone and writing to it, even without it being a storage device as far as Windows is concerned.

No worries - and thanks each of you for responding.

smallbrain :

Aug 01, 2017

Hello STBOUK. I just looking around and found your request. Take a look at 'MTPdrive'. Maybe it solves your problem.

Best Regards
André

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 01, 2017

André, I trimmed the link to the mtpdrive website from your post. Those who are interested in it can google it up.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms