The support forum

Installing Bvckup2 on Linux Mint 18.1 x64 (Ubuntu 16.04)

AndyW :

Mar 07, 2017

Hello,
I love your program and would like to be able to install it on Linux Mint 18.1 x64 Serena.  I could install under Wine or PlayOnLinux or CrossOver.  Looking at PlayOnLinux it seems as if I might be successful but I need to know which dependencies are used when running under Windows OS.  For example, dotnet40, mfc40, riched30 etc.  Any help you might have to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. If I have posted this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 07, 2017

Andy,

there are no framework dependencies (MFC, .Net, etc.), but there is a ton of native Windows API dependencies, some of which are quite exotic. The app also dynamically loads several system DLLs to conditionally pick up some API entry points that are not available on all supported Windows versions.

I'd very surprised if you'd be able to get it up and running on a Windows emulator. For example, the SSL support is derived from an ungodly Microsoft creation called SChannel [1] and I frankly don't know who in a sane state of mind would spend any time on writing an emulator for it.

That said, you can get a list of static dependencies (imports) using "depends" tool [2]. There are also some dynamic imports (mostly from kernel32.dll) that are expected to be present, but I'd look at static imports first.

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa380123(v=vs.85).aspx

[2] http://www.dependencywalker.com/

AndyW :

Mar 09, 2017

Alex,
Thank you very much for your answer and clarification.  I understand the complexity of the issue.  Looks like I'll have move to Plan B and run through VM.

AKount15 :

Feb 13, 2019

It works on VMWare workstation pro 15. I used Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 7 Pro as the guest.

AndyW :

Feb 13, 2019

Sorry I never saw your post earlier, AKount15; thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.

Froggie :

Feb 13, 2019

@AndyW, I have used Oracle's VirtualBox (VB) under Mint 18 and Mint 19 and guested Windows 7 without issue (a FREE VM path if VMware is not in your current toolbox).  I have not tested Bvckup2 as of yet under the W7 guest.

AndyW :

Feb 25, 2019

Thanks AKount15 and Froggie, it worked!  Only consideration is that the backup runs considerably longer through VM versus natively.  For example, a small backup which usually takes approx 4 minutes, took 27 minutes.  Cheers!

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy