The support forum

Permanently remove files

Huub :

Dec 02, 2015

I had problems removing large folders and files and files with long file names from our backup server. Shift + Delete was not enough and I tried all kinds of dos scripts to get rid of the redundant data.

I created a [empty] source folder, and on my backup server I created a [recycle bin] folder.  In the [recycle bin] folder I drag all the redundant data.
After setting the [empty] source and [recycle bin] destination in Bvckup I run the script. Now Backup got rid of all my data in a quick way, there is no data left.

Question: in this case wil Backup really delete all files from my [recycle bin] folder ? It doesn't store this data in a hidden recycle bin?

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 02, 2015

That's some quality lateral thinking :-)

Re: question - this depends entirely on what "Deleting" option in backup settings is set to. The default is to move backup copies of deleted files to the $Archive folder at the top of backup location and then delete them from there after 2 weeks. What you want instead is the "delete" option.

Keep in mind though that switching Deleting to "delete" will not purge the archive. You'll need to do yourself.

Huub :

Dec 03, 2015

Of course I turned within the settings the 'Deleting option' on 'Delete backup copies'.
With this option checked, all data will be permanently deleted ?

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 03, 2015

Files are removed with the standard DeleteFile() function, so - yes, they should be properly deleted. Just like with the standard "del" command from the command prompt.

Monica :

Dec 12, 2017

Hi Alex,

I set to delete $ Archive in every 2 weeks, but I still see the files older than 2  months in $Archive folder . Bvckup2 is running on latest version v78.16.
I did also changed option " Delete items from the archive after 1 Minute " for testing purpose I still don't see any changes in $Archive folder . All the files are present as they did not get deleted per settings .  Please advise.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 12, 2017

What exact version are you running?
Menu > Help > About

I still see the files older than 2 months

Based on the date/time tag added to their names, correct?

If so, please show me an example of a file like that (its complete path and name) as well as the following two entries from settings.ini of the job:

conf.archive_deleted_tag
        conf.archive_changed_tag

You can find .ini by right-clicking on the backup in main window and selecting Open Folder > Configuration and Logging.

If you'd like, we can discuss this over email (support@pipemetrics.com)

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms