Release 71

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 29, 2014

New features

1. Added email alerts and notifications

This is a big one, so here's a separate thread for it -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/473

2. Added real-time device tracking by volume labels

Previously tracking by volume *was* supported, however changes to the volume labels weren't tracked. Meaning, that if you were to rename the drive, the app would remain oblivious to change. It also meant that the event of unlocking a BitLocker'd device was ignored by the app as well.

3. Added support for drives with BitLocker encryption

The app is now capable to recognizing locked BitLocker devices and it provides proper UI messaging around them.

4. Added automatic NTFS compression of backup logs

A simpler changed, but with a good immediate effect - backup logs and their indecies now have NTFS compression enabled for them. They are highly compressible, so you should see their "space on disk" to be 20-30% of their raw size.

5. Multiple improvements to the backup configuration UI

I am listing this as a new feature, so that if you are upgrading from an earlier version, you'd take notice. In particular, the Device Tracking configuration for a backup has been moved from the More Options panel and into a single "pushpin" icon embedded directly into the Source/Destination entry fields. Like so -
https://bvckup2.com/wip/r71-look-here.gif

To access the actual settings, just click on the icon and you'll get this -
https://bvckup2.com/wip/r71-dev-tracking-3.gif

Also, the app will automatically enable device tracking when you enter a location on a *removable* device. In this case, it will let you know about this automatic change with a little animation -
https://bvckup2.com/wip/r71-hint-shakes.gif

The reclaimed space in More Options panel was given to the email notifications - https://bvckup2.com/wip/r71-configure-alerts.gif

Issues resolved

1. Added special handling for Netgear Stora NAS -- yet another case of weird timestamp truncation. Probably weirdest of them to date -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/461/2671

2. Added special handling for FUSE volumes -- FUSE being "Filesystem in Userspace", which is a contraption used by some apps to implement file system functionality without needing to write any kernel code. In certain cases FUSE refuses (ha) to open a file for exclusive use and want to have at least some access sharing on a file enabled. Bvckup now recognizes this case and silently re-opens the file as per FUSE's expectations.

3. Added support for WIM reparse points -- these are mounted .wim containers. Apparently these are used in the wild. Go figure.

4. Resolved several issues with shadow copying support -- this is a fairly big deal. There are two unrelated changes.

First is that the logic for selecting optional VSS components was a bit too dumb and apparently it could've been improved. This has no quantifiable effect on an average setup, but it makes difference for the Windows Server installations.

Second was a change to how a snapshot is removed after the backup. Apparently, re-initializing VSS interface and disposing the snapshot through this secondary instance doesn't work in some cases, including Windows 2008 R2. Have no idea why, but the work around was to re-use the original VSS interface to do the disposal.

5. Changed handling of disappearing folders at source -- previously, if a folder at source location would go missing between the scanning and the copying, the app would abort the backup, erroneously thinking that the entire source device gone missing. This is fixed now.

Other changes

1. Added support for simulating a run without enabling a job

2.  Added "start/stop all jobs" options to the systray menu -- this can be disabled through the .ini if you prefer an original two-item systray menu. Just ask me how.

3.  Default archive folder name is now "$Archive (Bvckup 2)" -- this goes into effect for all newly created backups. All existing backups will continue using "$Archive of Deleted Items (Bvckup)".

4. Archive trimming is now enabled by default -- that is, the app will start removing items from the archive after 2 weeks of grace period.

5. Added slide-in context help to several UI dialogs -
https://bvckup2.com/wip/r71-dev-tracking-3.gif

This is currently enabled for Device Tracking, Net Logon and Email Config dialogs. Looks for "More on this..." links and "?" icons to access the help.

6. Tray icon animation now can be suppressed -- as per request, via an .ini edit. Ask me how.

7. Declared app's support for Windows 10 -- simply added W10 to the app's manifest.

There are few more smaller change and bug fixes, I'll just skip listing them as they aren't very interesting.

Peacecamper :

Oct 29, 2014

Sounds good, thank you! Especially for e-mail alerts. Now I'm only missing the monthly scheduling in addition to weekly, then it's the perfect tool for my needs. :)

Bamit :

Oct 29, 2014

In "Other changes" #-2.  Added "start/stop all jobs" options to the systray menu.....

Thank you,   thank you,    and yes thank you.     I can now use my Surface Pro with a touch screen only input to start all jobs at once, instead of messing with the On Screen Keyboard.

Did I mention thank you?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 29, 2014

You are easy to please I see :)

NewUser :

Oct 29, 2014

Great to see some new features and  bugs fixed.Any chance of including Export/Import Jobs feature in GUI?May be in next version.Thank you :)

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 30, 2014

Still on the ToDo list and I will try and get it into the next release. Meanwhile it's fairly simple to do manually too -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/188

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 30, 2014

Release 71 Revision 4 is out.
You can pull it down via in-app Check for Updates.

This revision includes another fix for installations that involve an ISA Server and it also changes the app to display the Revision number whenever it displays its Version. Going forward the app will be versioned as follows -

Release N                         --   feature release
    Release N Revision 1      --   follow-up release, bugfixes only
    Release N Revision 2      --   ...
    Release (N+1)                   --  next feature release

Ideally, there would be no Revisions, but in practice there might be a need for them.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 30, 2014

Release 71 Revision 5 is out, and hopefully that'd be it.

There was an issue with the UI not re-populating the backup list after the app mode was changed. That was due to internal changes to the UI-engine communication protocol in R71.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 30, 2014

Release 71 Revision 6 is out.

This includes the final fix for the last outstanding issue with the DNS resolver. The app would sometimes consider a valid DNS response as corrupted. No more.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 30, 2014

Release 71 Revision 7 is out.

This resolves an issue with TLS/SMTP sessions sometimes erroneously shutting down right after the TLS handshake and it also resolves an issue with *mapped* network drives labels not updated and tracked properly.

genl :

Oct 31, 2014

Thanks for the update. The slide-in help system looks really sweet.

I think there should be one more word here:

the app will start items from the archive after 2 weeks of grace period.

You are not going to change the version numbering scheme? Maybe something like 2.71.05 would be more comfortable.

How do I disable tray icon animation?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 31, 2014

The slide-in help system looks really sweet.

:)

I think there should be one more word here:

Fixed, thanks.

You are not going to change the version numbering scheme?

No, I am not. I think that dotted version format is counter-productive. It's shorter, granted, but it also very effectively undermines the importance of the bugfix releases. The "2.71.07 to 2.71.05" update looks like some minor thing which is likely optional, while in reality it might be a critical fix for a crashing condition. I want to avoid this, I want people to pay attention to each released version and if they decide not to upgrade, then do it after reading the release notes rather than looking at a version number.

How do I disable tray icon animation?

Shut down the app, open %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\ui\bvckup2-ui.ini, add

no_tray_spinning  1

at the bottom, save, start the app. This will suppress the "backup in progress" animation, but the blinking alerts will remain enabled.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 31, 2014

By the way - just got around reading your review on Softpedia. Very good point on the app being specialized tool for people with specific *realized* needs. I will need to work this into the home page messaging.

genl :

Oct 31, 2014

no_tray_spinning  1

Thanks. Although it works, I'd like to still get some kind of indication when a job is being executed (I hoped you could just disable animations, while 'working' status would still have its own icon). Especially when tray tooltip is still not informative at all. I'll quote my request about the tooltip:

Make it display some status info for currently running jobs and/or for recently finished jobs.

nod5 :

Nov 05, 2014

Earlier you wrote
"3. Main window and log viewer are now stylable via .ini - it's now possible to adjust colors and certain metrics of the main list and the log viewer. I will be documenting this separately in a bit." ( https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/416 )
Have instructions for that been posted?

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 05, 2014

@nod5 - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/416/2825 with "today" being "Nov 05/14". Just bear with me for a day.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 05, 2014

@genl - Noted re: tooltip and I'll take care of this in the next release, but I'd rather not to over-complicate things with the animation/static icon.

nod5 :

Nov 05, 2014

No rush. Though rereading that thread I'm not sure if you with adjusting color only meant (a) option to change all tiles to the same color or (b) color-coding for individual tiles. Hope for the latter, for quick visual grouping commands.

genl :

Nov 06, 2014

Thank you.

but I'd rather not to over-complicate things with the animation/static icon.

In my opinion, the animated status icons themselves are a complication if compared to static status icons. For me, animated tray icons are only useful for displaying some kind of dynamic graphs (e.g. traffic). For indication of file copying or downloading progress I prefer seeing static tray icons.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 07, 2014

@nod5 - https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/481

@genl - I added a non-animated "busy" icon. Will be in the next R71 revision.

nod5 :

Nov 08, 2014

Thanks. the bcvkup2-ui-override.ini method didn't work. But I could add the settings directly to bvckup2-ui.ini
I set this to hide the "Awaiting a go... " etc text until a tile is selected.  

style.list.label_col                               #FFFFFF

Currently there's no support for varying tile appearance based on the backup's type or state.

That "currently" means there is still hope :)

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 08, 2014

Did you use bCVkup2-ui-override.ini or bVCkup2-ui-override.ini ?

That "currently" means there is still hope :)

Yep. I will be adding an option of per-backup styling shortly.

nod5 :

Nov 08, 2014

My typo bad, works fine now.

per-backup styling

Have you decided on a method for users to set that? If a user wants to group 14 backups by coloring all of them red then manually doing one ini setting per backup is a bit of a hassle. Selecting them all in the GUI, right click and choose color would be more convenient.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 09, 2014

I'll add basic ini-based support for this first and then have a look at adding this into the UI.

Under the .ini option you'd simply need to drop backup-000x-override.ini file into the Bvckup2\ui folder for each backup that you want to paint differently. If you have 14 backups, then you will need to make 13 copies of the same file.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 10, 2014

Release 71, Revision 8 is out.

1. Resolved an issue with "Backup config" dialog and ?:\ paths - that is the app would go down if one specifies a path that starts with a non-letter and followed by :\, e.g. #:\

2. Resolved an issue with "Email details" dialog - a rare issue that surfaced only when opening Backup Details dialog more twice or more in quick succession.

3. Suppressed volume label updates for A:\ and B:\ drives - the volume labels are now NOT re-queried from the floppy drives, because apparently Windows does an actual physical read of the media and it gets annoying quickly when this happens several times a minute.

4. Added the "on critical errors only" option for email alerts - that is the app can now send an alert only when a backup either cannot be run or is aborted due to a critical error.

5.  Added a static system tray icon for the "busy" state - this is when a "busy" animation of the tray icon is disabled, the app will now show a distinct icon (as opposed it's regular "idle" icon as before).

6. Added UI support for re-styling individual backup jobs - I will be updating https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/481 in a moment, but in brief - it's now possible to adjust *colors* of an individual backup tile. The settings are read from %AppLocalData%\Bvckup2\ui\backup-000x\styling.ini file if it exists.

7. Also, added a provisional fix for this issue -
https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/484 - the app now formally requests device notifications, even though it appears to be an optional requirement for the type of notifications that Bvckup needs.

nod5 :

Nov 11, 2014

Updated but can't get coloring of individual tile to work.
I have created

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Bvckup2\ui\backup-0013\styling.ini

with the content

tile_back_0 #F8F8FF

tile_back_1 #F8F8FF

but the corresponding tile (and all other tiles) remain white

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 11, 2014

style.list.tile_back_0 #F8F8FF
    style.list.tile_back_1 #F8F8FF

:)

nod5 :

Nov 11, 2014

I'm offended that your software yet again requires me to use the correct syntax! ;D In other news: I see colors now!

One detail: I also tried setting style.list.label_col colors for individual tiles, to match text and tile color so text becomes invisible until tile select. However the style.list.label_col setting for the topmost tile/job in the list in the GUI (in my case "backup-0002") seem to be applied to all tiles, even when they have other style.list.label_col settings.

nod5 :

Nov 11, 2014

I'm offended that your software yet again requires me to use the correct syntax! ;D In other news: I see colors now!

One detail: I also tried setting style.list.label_col colors for individual tiles, to match text and tile color so text becomes invisible until tile select. However the style.list.label_col setting for the topmost tile/job in the list in the GUI (in my case "backup-0002") seem to be applied to all tiles, even when they have other style.list.label_col settings.

galileo :

Nov 11, 2014

@nod5 (just for fun)

hmmm, two posts and colors...if I type "dyslexia"...how many times do you see it...?  LOL

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 12, 2014

I'm offended that your software yet again requires me to use the correct syntax!

At least it has *a* syntax... unlike some *cough* Perl *cough* noise that makes for a valid input in any permutation.

One detail

Well-spotted, will fix in a bit.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 01, 2014

Release 71, revision 9 is out.

It fixes one issue with the UI that was introduces in revision 8 and its support for per-tile styling. Specifically, if the first backup on the list would get deleted, then running any other backups would result in the UI going down. This was because it was still internally referencing styling data from the deleted backup job.

Silvernine :

Dec 22, 2014

Hello Alex! Sorry completely unrelated but I just love that the forum now have permalinks for each post and... A DATE!! WHEE!!! *Ahem. Anyway, best wishes!

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy