The support forum

Feature requests and suggestions

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 10, 2014

Missing a feature? Read through the posts below and if it's not here yet, add it as a short summary, <line-break>, the details if any.

The original thread (now retired and locked) -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/197

Bamit :

Sep 13, 2014

Alex,  great work so far on the support forum.

In addition to the already requested;
     Time and Date stamp,
     Sort by date or Sort by first or last entry

How about adding:
    Search by Author, Topic or keyword.
    Voting buttons with a sort by most popular or most requested
    A feature or topic status indicator ie. Open, Closed etc.

I know that some of these requests might be trivial, but (for me anyway) these features make it easier for me to use the support forum.

Bamit :

Sep 13, 2014

Alex,  is this feature still open and still on the back burner, or is it something that will not be able to be implemented?

Make Go & Stop apply to all jobs if none are selected
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/201

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 15, 2014

Bamit, the status of the Go/Stop request is that I am adding a "Start/Stop all backups" to the systray menu, but that's it. As I said before I think making Start apply to all jobs when none is selected is counter-intuitive and I suspect it will confuse more people than it will help.

Forum suggestions - the timestamps I will be adding at some later on, bear with me a little while longer. Sorting is already supported, but it's in testing at the moment. With regards to the search - I will be looking at this as well shortly, but most likely I will just stick to the keyword search for starters.

Bamit :

Sep 16, 2014

Thank you Alex for the fast response.  You are always very attentive to your users concerns.  This, in and of itself makes your software support better then the rest.

Sputnik-ETO :

Sep 17, 2014

a search feature on the forum would be useful!

is there a manual for this program?

Is there a way of getting it to email its status so that i dont have to physically check each machine is backing up?

soylent :

Sep 18, 2014

Hi, I just got the profession license and I really like this program. I have some suggestions/requests of features I feel are missing (or maybe I just can't find them):

1. I'd like to have an email alert if something fails. A tab where I can enter my SMTP server info so B2 can send the relevant log entries after a failure (or notify after a job finishes).

2. A mouse-over pop up on the check boxes with an explanation (or just a help button on the dialog boxes). For example, what is "concurrent backups"? I don't see any description or information about that option.

3. Throttling. When I do an initial copy, I don't always want it to use the maximum speed available, especially if it's over the network.

4. A scroll bar for when I expand all the "Change" buttons, because it runs off the screen.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 18, 2014

@Sputnik-ETO and @soylent - email alerts are scheduled for the next release, which is about 2-3 weeks out. This is one of the major outstanding features and I am actually looking forward to getting it done myself.

2. A mouse-over pop up on the check boxes with an explanation (or just a help button on the dialog boxes). For example, what is "concurrent backups"?

Ok, will do, fair suggestion. "Concurrent backups" means that the app will run two or more backups simultaneously if needed. Otherwise, backups will be put into a single queue and executed one by one.

3. Throttling.

Yep. This is already on a ToDo list as well, albeit on a lower priority.

4. A scroll bar for when I expand all the "Change" buttons, because it runs off the screen.

This I will not do. The dialog *is* very tall with all Change sections expanded, granted, but they are not meant to be all expanded simultaneously. I had a version where expanding a section automatically collapsed any already expanded section, but that came out somewhat clunky in actual use. I can make another pass over this, but I think adding a scrollbar is an altogether wrong direction.

JC :

Sep 19, 2014

+1 for a search feature on the forums.

fauxpride :

Sep 19, 2014

An option for suppressing *system tray* warnings (the ones that are visible in the GUI log shouldn't be suppressible).

Consider the following user case:

1. I create a backup from my local HDD to an external USB device.
2. I set the backup to run daily.
3. There are moments when I intentionally remove the device. If the device isn't connected at the moment when the backup is scheduled to run, I get a error warning that the backup didn't succeed and the tray icon flashes.

If the warnings could be suppressed, and I'd have the "Run as soon as it becomes available" option on for missed backups, I could just insert the USB device and have bvckup2 do its job automatically without it flashing daily that there's a missed backup. At the same time, I'd have the comfort of the app making backups daily in case I lave the device connected for longer periods of time.

PS: Love the app, keep the updates coming!

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 19, 2014

@fauxpride -

That warning *is* suppressed if the "run as soon as it becomes available" option is selected. Though it's not really the warning that's suppressed, it's the check for a missed run, so there'll be nothing in the log either. This should still work for your purpose I think, shouldn't it?

fauxpride :

Sep 22, 2014

@Alex it should - I remember that I was using a build that was not functioning that way though. It may be that it was an older build.

fauxpride :

Sep 22, 2014

...or that it was some other kind of error that caused the warnings.

beau :

Sep 30, 2014

My (by far) most frequently used bvckup is at the top of the list in the backups panel. 'Twould be nice if that were selected as the default bvckup so that one click on Go would start that bvckup . . . always trying to reduce mouse clicks ;o)

roconnor :

Oct 02, 2014

Hey Alex,

A feature i would really appreciate would be the ability to Export and Import your backup configurations.

Loving everything else!

Dan :

Oct 13, 2014

I for one would prefer to see a static program icon in the taskbar tray, rather than the flashing one when the program is backing up. This because as I have several different backups it's very often flashing and that is subtly disturbing.
Then, in case a program fails its schedule, and icon with some sort of error indication (the exclamation mark, or maybe a different color?)
This way I would assume that the program is working to schedule, rather than having to be notified

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 13, 2014

Dan, I've added an option for suppressing this animation. It will be in Release 71, should be out by the end of this week.

PS. I have virtually all parts of the UI controlled from the config file, I can't believe I missed something as obvious as this.

Bamit :

Oct 13, 2014

Alex,   No worries.  Missing little things like this is common in software development, especially if you are doing this all alone.
It is probably easier to fly a helicopter blind folded then to create new software like this and run a website and support system all at the same time.
I think you are doing great!

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 13, 2014

Oh, I'm not stressing about it :)

NickC4555 :

Nov 07, 2014

+1 forum search.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 07, 2014

Nick, can you give me an example of what you'd search for?

I personally settled on simple https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=something+something+site%3Abvckup2.com

eskay993 :

Nov 17, 2014

Awesome software! Clean and exactly what I needed. One feature request (and apologies if it was asked for previously) but would be great to set a time period in the day where no backups should run, say in the Schedule bit. Or do a cron style schedule option so you can set the period and interval. Both options would achieve the same result

Reason is, I would like to have regular backups on certain folders, but not at 3-5am since I have some unrelated maintenance scripts running. There are plenty of other use cases for this as well.

Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

NickC4555 :

Nov 17, 2014

Alex. Thanks for your reply. Just a simple keyword search box would be very useful, preferably with individual keywords and phrases. Forums become great organic knowledgebases, but if you don't know something is there, the information isn't useful. Personally I would prefer to see a more traditional forum interface with sections, categories and topics that can be browsed, with the ability to see new posts since your last visit. One long list of topics isn't intuitive.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 18, 2014

@eskay993 - Noted. I had this under "quiet periods" feature, but the cron-style scheduling is a very neat idea. Let me think about it.

If you *really* need this right now, there is a workaround which is to run a pre-backup script that exits with 0 from 5-3 am and with 1 from 3-5 am. Then, you'd need to tag the pre-backup command as "critical" in backup's config, meaning that the backup won't proceed if the command fails. This is done by setting

conf.command_pre_crit  1

in settings.ini of respective backup (right-click on the backup, select Open Location / Config & Logging, exit the app, make the change to settings.ini and then start the app again).

This will effectively abort every run between 3 and 5am, so the app will log an error to that effect.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 18, 2014

@NickC4555 - OK, got it. With regards to this though -

with the ability to see new posts since your last visit

Do you not get this now? You should see either "new" or "+x" next to the topic entry in the index for new and updated topics respectively.

eskay993 :

Nov 18, 2014

Thanks Alex. Sounds great!

I actually did that in the end with a pre-command batch script, although instead of setting to critical, I just had it run the disable job command during the period and enable job all other times. Works really well, and I think has the added advantage of not sending a critical fail email (which I assume exit 0 would).

NickC4555 :

Nov 21, 2014

@alex Sorry, yes, I've found that now!

traxit :

Dec 02, 2014

I miss a file file version feature. So i can backup file changes for x days, like the already existing file delete / keep x days feature.

Thanks, Andreas

traxit :

Dec 02, 2014

One more feature suggestion: add global settings to many backup jobs can be configured in a short time (like E-Mail settings, missed backup settings)

Thanks, Andreas

traxit :

Dec 02, 2014

Last feature suggestion: run Backup only if the home network is available.

Thanks, Andreas

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 02, 2014

Re #29 - this is exactly how it works at the moment. You should see a backup sit in "Waiting for a network location..." state when the network is down or if a remote share is not available... hmm... though if the network comes up and then comes down, a backup will not re-enter this state until it is run again.

Re #28 - yep, good idea.

Re #27 - that's a big one, there's even a dedicated thread for it :)
https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/158

traxit :

Dec 02, 2014

#30 Okay thanks for answer Alex. I will follow up topic 158. That would be a killer feature. On Linux machines i solved this with rsnapshot or rdiff backup. I want to keep some file history for user mistakes.

Thanks, Andreas

lvsunz3748 :

Dec 16, 2014

Would be very helpful if you could have 'Forgot your Password' if that happens. Thank you.

Jerome Rosen

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 18, 2014

Ok, will be adding the "Reset your password" option shortly.

Hooch :

Dec 19, 2014

Realtime preview of patterns with include/exclude files

<line-break>

If you have time it would be awesome to see your patterns working in real time in window where you select files/folders to include (Under "Then include the following items). Something like small icon next to folder/file showing if it is included/excluded by filter.

http://i.imgur.com/cT9okYf.png

Silvernine :

Dec 22, 2014

+1 for Hooch's idea as well. I spend a good amount of time reading my Inclusion/Exclusion and imagining what will be copied and what will not due to the complexity of certain backups that I had. This would be a major help.

JohnW2 :

Dec 23, 2014

Must start with a compliment on the incredible speed in new version 72! Bvckedup in just over 39 mins!! Really excellent!!
My suggestion came from this run, in which I got 131 errors. These seem to be all files that don't appear to be there! However, there doesn't seem to be a way to see which error (in numerical terms) relates to which actual 'error' (as in 'details') in the log. Could the error indication have the error "numbered" rather than just saying 'error'? I know I can jump from error to error using the red arrows, but would be great to put in a number so as to go to that error detail directly.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 23, 2014

Bvckedup in just over 39 mins!!

:)) Can I ask what's your setup is like and how long was it taking in the earlier version?

With regards to 131 errors - this is most likely due to some files disappearing between the moment bvckup scans the source location and the point where it actually gets around to backing these file up. A proper fix for this is to set "shadow copying" to "require" (in More Options section of the backup config) and switch the app to run as administrator (in the Preferences). However, this applies only if you are backing up from a _local_ drive, and not from a remote share.

With regards to the numbering of the errors - sorry, you lost me completely. Can you elaborate on what you want to be able to do and what should be happening in response?

Peacecamper :

Dec 24, 2014

Any news on when you will add the "monthly backup" option?

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 24, 2014

It's on a relatively low priority, but I will try and get it in the next release or two. I bumped it up on the ToDo list.

Oravendi :

Dec 30, 2014

With a lot of different backups to different devices, it would be nice if we could group backups with a group icon and/or allow the group name text to be a different color if no icon.   You have done so well making this easy to use, this is low priority stuff. It seems that allowing colored text in the backup name might not take long though.   Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 02, 2015

Noted. There is already a request for collapsible grouping, I'll just +1 it.

solflekken :

Jan 03, 2015

It would be really nice to have file versioning, in case something becomes overwritten. Also to be able to choos how many file versions one would want.

pavel5 :

Jan 16, 2015

Possibility to backup to linux server would be fine
thanks

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 17, 2015

You can already do that, using Samba on the Linux end. This is how the vast majority of NAS and storage devices integrate with Windows these days.

fauxpride :

Jan 17, 2015

Hi,

Following up on the older post I've made in this thread.

I've created another daily backup from an external drive to my local HDD, and I definitely still get a warning that there's an error in the job condition (because the scheduled backup didn't run) when I don't have the drive plugged in, even though I have the "Run as soon as it becomes possible" option turned on.

An option to suppress the warnings if the source/destination device is missing would be great. Even one that would disable warnings for the whole backup profile would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Gnorf :

Feb 03, 2015

Hi Alex

and thanks for a splendid application. Took only a few hours to decide on buying/settling with it.

One feature I would appreciate was a report service, or maybe an export to for instance html/csv or txt with backup statistics. compiling results from log, like:

- #of tasks run (per day/week/month)
- # of devices/units backed up
-  Total MB/GB/TB backed up or incrementally changed since last backup
-  Total number of files (more for statistic fun) compiles from log
-  maybe number of files (total)

Cheers

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 03, 2015

@Gnorf - with an exception of "# of tasks" all information is readily available if you hook-up a post-backup command. There are over 60 environment variables set up that capture both the config and the state of the backup.

Just set the post-backup command to "cmd /k set" and it will give you the dump of the env. vars upon completing a backup run. See here for details - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/98

Descriptions of the variables are also available, though they are tucked away into the email alert configuration. Basically, you need to enable alerts in More Section of the backup config, then click Configure, then "Edit email message...", then "Show variables". Pretty intuitive, I think :)

And thanks for the "splendid", glad to hear that!

Gnorf :

Feb 04, 2015

Alex, thanks for the info. Just started to dive into the documentation. Using the switch caused a prompt to open but I did not manage to get any file export. Been a "trillion years " since i used commands.

The mail send function worked great however and resolves the reporting desire. But actually might be a better idea in a corporate context, one where I do believe your application could simplify things greatly.

And yes it was intuitive enough once one dug into it.  If I only could get the file export to work.. hehe.

Cheers :)

PetieG :

Feb 04, 2015

Any way to simply select multiple drives as a source and back them up to a single destination in one shot?  

Destination:  G:\Bvckup\

Will backup like:

g:\bvckup\c
g:\bcckup\d

etc... ?  

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 05, 2015

@PetieG - this has been requested before and this is not something that I would consider implementing, sorry. See my earlier reply for the rationale - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/255/2327

Grimscale :

Feb 17, 2015

Great Program :)
At the risk of being redundant, I noticed the post about date stamp above.
I'm unclear as to what would be data stamped. So I suggest a simple feature of optional date stamping a backup destination folder.
So for example a once a week backup would result in 52 date stamped folders over a year. Also being able to set it up so a real time backup can change to a new folder at regular intervals.

I recently had a situation were a data base got corrupted, but could be still copied. so the backup contains the bad file as well. simple date stamping of the destination folder would have been helpful.

delair :

Feb 17, 2015

With the new update & feature of copying speed and completion time estimation for large files with is superb, would it be possible to have this feature available for the overall backup/complete backup.

E.g. I have 1TB to backup -so how long it will take to backup 1TB and current backup speed & time based on the speed - This will help in many ways and to pin point any throughput issues too;

Maybe an option to enable/disable this function depending on user preference.

As at the moment I am testing a 1TB backup and have no idea how long it will take other than to check the steps/wait for the backup alert etc.

Just a thought,

sorry posted in the wrong section before so I have reposted as a feature request

Thanks

delair :

Feb 19, 2015

Would it be possible to have the label that shows how many changes - linkable/hyperlinked e.g.

12 hours ago - 32 changes - no errors

To be able to click on 32 changes & it show's all the files (full path which are also clickable or right click open file location) that have been changed. This can be shown either on the log UI window by clearing the log file or using another UI window.

This just make's it easier to see what changes have been made & ready accessible on your fingertips rather then go through/scroll through the files.

Also;

Would it be possible for disabled jobs to be greyed out / font colour changed to a lighter shade or have sections - Enabled Jobs & Disabled Jobs

Edwin :

Feb 19, 2015

Excellent software, simple, powerful and quite elegant. May I suggest a report that lists all backup jobs, their backup settings and statistics (size, number of files).

Markovich :

Feb 19, 2015

Hi! New user here!

I'm feeling cheeky to already suggest new features without first echoing the sentiments of many about how nice this software already is!

Computers and software are such soulless commodities, and come and go, but sometimes you come across a product that almost has soul because it is so clearly created with care and diligence, and supported promptly, efficiently and with consideration and humour... that is, with such pleasant humanity. And the product simply works, and works so well because of all the above along with a fantastic dose of technical proficiency!

As far as features are concerned, we know one of the beauties of this product is it's apparent simplicity and general ease of use and navigation etc... nevertheless, however, tempting complication :)

I must say that I do like the hyperlinking suggestion above. I also wonder if it might be possible... (oh dear, how long is that to-do list already? I am so looking forward to versioning!)... to introduce some kind of "de-cluttering" for the list of configured backups. It doesn't take long to find many useful configs to apply, quickly becoming a long list of mixed items of varying significance and frequency, etc. An ability to sort and/or nest items, perhaps using user-definable labels and/or alpha, frequency, size, doc/media types (or any other meaningful categorisation, with auto-colour-coding of course :) ) would be very useful here.

Maybe a job for that time you don't know what to do next, Alex (ha!)? :)

Anyway, enough waffle from me... thanks for the great product!

renechavez :

Feb 20, 2015

Would like to see a setting to auto shutdown my laptop after a backup job or set of backups are complete. This would be very convenient when shutting down at the end of the work day

Bamit :

Feb 21, 2015

Alex,  Sorry for jumping on this.  If I am wrong please let me know.
- - -
renechavez,  You could use the "shudown.exe" command in a batch or script.  Here too is an example of running commands during the backup process.
https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/411

scp :

Feb 24, 2015

I have a backup to a network drive which is scheduled to run every few hours.  Often I am not on the network and the drive is unavailable.  I get the error saying it has failed, which is okay, but rather than it telling me e.g. "Missed scheduled run 6 minutes ago" it would be much more useful to know e.g. "Last successful backup was 15 hours ago" as then I would know how much data was at risk.

Thanks.

scp :

Feb 26, 2015

Sorry, please ignore that. I see that it does tell me when the last successful backup was on the line above...  

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 27, 2015

Aye :)

wtip :

Apr 18, 2015

Alex.
It would be awesome if bvckup could send data to another bvckup instance over a p2p connection. (Given your history with Hamachi I thought it wouldn't be too far fetched to suggest this).

I have a few use cases for this. I'd like to be able to backup the computers of a few of my family members (who live far away) to my local system. The setup and operation on their computers needs to be very easy.

The other application would be for a business that has several employees that work remotely all or most of the time. Their laptops should all be backed up to a server running in the main office. I realize this could already be done by using a VPN client + Bvckup + some scripts but my experience with SMB over VPN connections has been less than great.
Having some kind of remote management and logging on the server in the office would be really nice.

I realize this would make the program way more complex because you'd have to implement your own transport protocol and not rely on SMB.

If someone can suggest some other program that already does something like this that would be great.
I am aware that you can do something like this with the Crashplan personal backup version but I really don't want to have to subscribe to a cloud storage backup service when I don't actually want to use their cloud storage. I really also don't like their resource heavy Java client.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 18, 2015

I have something almost exactly like this planned, precisely for the the reasons you described. Just bear with me for a little while :)

nurtox :

May 05, 2015

It would be useful if email notification could be also send daily with report about all performed backups (not for single backup single email)

Ghost :

May 06, 2015

One thing I would like is to either group jobs, or be able to copy > 1 folder per backup. I have several folders in the root of my drive that don't get moved around/changed much (Music, Photos, etc.). It would be nice to be able to select all of them at once and have one job do them all. So selecting D:\Music and D:\Photos as the source and E:\Backups\LongTerm\ as the target would just create the folders; E:\Backups\LongTerm\Music ,... and back them up appropriately.

Are there any plans for encryption of the backups?

Alex Pankratov :

May 07, 2015

For the multi-folder backup you can already do that. You just need to select D:\ as the source location and then use "Backup What" filters to include folders that you need (that is, use the "Start with an empty list" option at the top and then pick what you need in the list below it).

Alex Pankratov :

May 07, 2015

Re: encrypted backups - no plans for adding backup encryption to the app, but it doesn't mean that the app cannot be used to make encrypted backups (see below).

Two main reasons for not having a built-in encryption are as follows:

1. Encrypted files will require decryption upon restoring, meaning that the app will need to get a "restore" function and this is something that I don't want it to be adding for the sake of keeping things simple for those who don't need the encryption. But this is a minor reason in comparison with ...

2. Cryptography is tricky. It ages quickly, it's prone to spontaneous discovery of implementation flaws and algorithmic weaknesses. These will then need to be mitigated in an emergency fashion, which may mean re-encrypting everything.

I have substantial experience dealing with cryptographic matters (I worked on VPN systems in the past) and it's generally a good idea to have them as divorced from the rest of the functions as possible.

--

To that end, the simplest option for having encrypted backups is to direct them onto an encrypted disk, be it a TrueCrypt volume or a Bitlocker'd drive.

Another option is to keep data encrypted *at source* and then back up the underlying crypto container, e.g. you'd create a TrueCrypt volume that sits in a TC file, mount it as a drive, store all your data there and then use shadow copying to back up this TC file as required.

ckasprzak :

May 10, 2015

1) De-dup cutting down on duplicate files (Ex photos!)

2) Ability to backup applications own settings from AppData directory: I currently backup my settings for various applications & games from the AppData directory. Would be nice to have bvckup2 able to backup its own files so I don't have to manually copy over before I re-image my machine.

3) Easier to read log panel with filter option for only errors.

Froggie :

May 10, 2015

ckasprzak, if you "expose" the folder(s) you're interested in (Show Hidden Files) before you set up the backup, set it up, then hide your hidden files, it should work just fine.

I've been using it for quite a while that way.

Froggie :

May 10, 2015

...in fact, on my system, Bvckup2 sees the hidden folders even if I don't have them set to expose.

It might be a General User vs Administrator thing.

Ghost :

May 12, 2015

I don't think there is a way to auto-run a backup ASAP if it missed it's deadline.

I have my main storage backing up on a 6 hour cycle and every time I switch the PC on in the morning, there is a, (slightly irritating due to it being unnecessary,) flashing icon in my notifications telling me that I missed a backup, when it could just run it.

P.S.: I saw you replied to my tweet, thanks. :D

Alex Pankratov :

May 12, 2015

I don't think there is a way to auto-run a backup ASAP if it missed it's deadline.

Bah. Of course, there is!

It's in the config window with the periodic backup details (click on "Details" next to "Every 6 hours") - https://bvckup2.com/wip/04102013

Ghost :

May 12, 2015

That's perfect, can't believe I missed/forgot about it! In that case, maybe, a "Hint: Did you know you can..." should pop up (as a small bar within the application) if a backup is missed while the PC was off.

My logic in turning it off, was that the files would not be edited while the system was off, so there was no point in running it ASAP. And then I completely forgot about the option, and was trying to find it in "Preferences".

Logician :

May 18, 2015

I know its only cosmetic but I'd like to propose a feature to group backup jobs and collapse/expand them.  

When there are excluded directories in certain jobs, you end up creating multiple jobs which are basically related and they clutter the list.

It would be great if certain jobs could be grouped together then collapsed so that interface get easier to track in large lists. (In a way jdownloader tasks works if you know the app)

BTW. great work on the script! Its pretty stable, blizzard fast and one can always tell its coded really well and with care. ;-)

I also wish we could run multiple versions in our other personal computers with a single license. :)

Ghost :

May 18, 2015

"I also wish we could run multiple versions in our other personal computers with a single license. :)"

I also think this would be much nicer. If someone wants this for all the PCs in their house. Lets say, 2 desktops and 3 laptops, it starts to get really expensive.

Totally understand why it is how it is though. Maybe a ~$2 per system per month subscription may be a nice addition for the future.

mtc :

Jun 11, 2015

Any chance of optionally displaying the log file contents just for the latest/current backup run (on a per-backup-task basis)?  

I'm not talking about how big log files should ultimately get (that's already been discussed elsewhere).   I'm talking about how much of the log file should be shown.  There's a clear separation possible (and desirable) between the results for the latest backup run, and all historical runs.  

I'm thinking in terms of a "display latest / display all" kind of GUI button, to allow viewing the latest log file for the currently-selected backup task.  That would make it much easier to quickly scan the latest backup results to check for error details.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 11, 2015

@Logician, @Ghost - I can't believe I haven't replied to your comments, sorry.

Re: grouping - yes, will do, absolutely. It's been sitting on the ToDo list for a long time now and I think it's finally ripe for implementation.

Re: subscription licensing - noted, let me think about it.

--

@mtc - that's a very nice idea, thanks. I'll try and get it done in the next release.

AndCycle :

Jul 02, 2015

I need massive file delete/different warning before backup,
like FreeFileSync, which will warning user about there are significant file different,

my laptop harddrive got unstable last week,
during that period bvckup2 is still running,

then it got MFT failed, further diagnosis shows the harddrive is broken,

so I copy all file from bvckup2's backup after I bought a new one,
today I found that the backup missing a lot of files,

which indicate that failed MFT result in files missing,
in the end bvckup2 think they got delete, so it delete them from backup too,

fortunately I put the backup at ZFS which one two weeks snapshot so I can rollback backup.

AlexS :

Jul 02, 2015

I also think like @AndCycle it should be warning if lots of files need to be deleted.
And one more thing
I know you are planning to implement some kind of versions control. But till that i think simple and useful option can be implemented.
Now all deleted files moved to backup folder. I think it will be more informative and useful if for each day when deleted file was detected subfolder inside backup folder will be created with date as name of this subfolder, and deleted files will be moved to this subfolder. So user can know when files was deleted and clean old files.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 03, 2015

@AndCycle - Did you have the archiving disabled? That's what it is for - a safety net (or a staging area if you will) for deleted files.

The thing is that when the app runs a backup job, it is *not* an interactive process. This is due to the fact that the engine is a self-contained module that is designed to operate in the absence of the UI.

It *is* of course possible to make the engine pause the job under certain circumstances and then rely on the UI to either resume or abort it, but I think this will make the app's behavior less predictable and consistent. For one, UI warnings may go on unnoticed, causing the jobs to stay paused much longer than they should be. For two, the behavior of the app now becomes different depending on whether the UI is attached to the engine or not... I mean, throwing a warning in a mix seems like a simple thing to do, but once all edge cases are considered it may end making more harm than good.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 03, 2015

@AlexS -

I think it will be more informative and useful if for each day when deleted file was detected subfolder inside backup folder will be created with date as name of this subfolder, and deleted files will be moved to this subfolder.

Let me think about it. This is not a bad idea, thanks.

AndCycle :

Jul 09, 2015

@Alex Pankratov
yup, I have archive enabled,

but it still kind of mess to look into it rather than using a full snapshot because the MFT issue mess file without predictable rule,
it act like randomly delete files everywhere,
so rescue from current archive will take lot's of time on rename,
@AlexS 's thought fixed this well :)

I understand that sucks to mess around UI and workflow,
so in tradition many backup software have a email notify function which is not so annoy and easier to implement,
maybe a threshold setting to send out warning mail will workout?

Aemony :

Jul 28, 2015

Please add "Last SUCCESSFUL attempt" in the GUI of Bvckup 2. Right now when jobs fail only last ATTEMPT and NEXT ATTEMPT is shown: http://i.imgur.com/FrjP5wk.png

We really need to know when the last SUCCESSFUL run was. Right now the only way to know that is by changing log options to show full log and then scrolling through the days if not weeks of failed jobs.

f_rele :

Aug 12, 2015

I just purchased personal version and it is excellent for home use. It copies and most off all syncs FAST.  It works so good that I would like to suggest this to company that i work for as well, but that would require central management to be possible. Backup softwares that I have seen with central management, are slow, lack parital copying and constant, live backup.

BvcDer :

Aug 21, 2015

I'm a long-time user of Bvckup and absolutely love it.  A feature that would be useful for those like me who can't remember why they did something from one minute to the next would be a notes facility for each back-up job, perhaps added to the right-click context menu for each job.  In the notes section, I could summarise the reason for the existence of the job and explain exactly why I need to back-up such and such to so and so.  I can imagine that it would also be useful for those who work in teams.

mattw_gyk :

Aug 25, 2015

Forum request: +1 for search please.

While waiting for the roundtuit needed to get a proper integrated one assembled a simple yet useful interim measure would be to sticky post _"{search phrase} site:www.bvckup2.com/support/forum"_. Example:

<iframe src="https://duckduckgo.com/search.html?width=200&site=www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/&prefill=Search"; style="overflow:hidden;margin:0;padding:0;width:258px;height:40px;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

from https://duckduckgo.com/search_box (and for better style: http://hardik.org/blog/2013/stylising-duckduckgo-site-search/)

mattw_gyk :

Aug 25, 2015

B2 request: It would be really handy to be able to select and copy individual entries from the log panel.

Illustration: http://i.imgur.com/yN922AM.png

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 25, 2015

B2 request: It would be really handy to be able to select and copy individual entries from the log panel.

This has been on the list for a while now, will do shortly.

Luigi :

Oct 16, 2015

Thank you for making such an elegant backup program.

I have noticed (on version 74.20) that setting a 12 month interval starting at 1 December 2015 (3am) results in the error:- "Selected combination of first backup date and the monthly interval results in one of the backups falling onto (null) 1, 2016 which is a non-existent date. Please correct." Is this a bug?

Please can you fix the above if it is a bug, or maybe add a "yearly" "Backup Interval" option.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 16, 2015

Oh, that's a bug. Whoops, thanks. I'll have it fixed in the next release.

gmagana :

Oct 22, 2015

Feature request for consideration, regarding progress bar:

When backing up there is a progress bar for the overall job, which is a thin bar. When the backup is processing a large file, there is a thicker larger progress bar displayed in addition (see http://prntscr.com/8u5oqi for example).

My request is to swap the two progress bars. When looking from far away at a large backup job, the first thing we see is the large bar, which is NOT the progress of the overall backup job. It's good information to have what percentage of a large file we have completed, but the most important thing to know is what percentage of the entire backup job is complete.  It's confusing to have to look at the (much) smaller progress bar to get that answer.

Even though I know how it works now, I always confuse the progress of the current file vs what I really want to know, which is the progress of the complete job.

Thanks!

TomR :

Nov 18, 2015

Schedule backups on Days of the Week

I am making primary backups on days of the week with software from other sources (ie Windows Backup and WD's SmartWare).

I want to use Bvckup to create a redundant copy of the Mon/Wed/Fri backup - so, on Tues,Thurs, Sat.

A workaround is to make the redundant copy once every 7 days, but please consider adding this feature for compatibility as others may be doing the same.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 18, 2015

There's already option to space backups N weeks apart. Setting N to 1 and selecting starting date to fall on required day of the week should do it, no?

jck :

Dec 24, 2015

Integrate with Windows 10 built-in notifications

I think that Windows 10 users would appreciate an integration with the built-in notifications system of the OS in case of errors (always) and in case of successful backups (optional)

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 28, 2015

Noted, thanks. I will have a look.

aweber :

Jan 04, 2016

Can we change the default log viewer to replace notepad?  Like notepad++ ?  Would be great if we could configure this (even in a config file somewhere)?

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 11, 2016

This is already configurable, it's one of the UI settings read from the %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\ui\bvckup2-ui.ini *if present*. More specifically,

log_viewer_command     c:\windows\System32\notepad.exe
       log_viewer_name             How_To_Call_It_In_Log_Options_Menu

If you are to add either of these, make sure to exit the app first, because otherwise your changes will be ignored and overwritten.

pereh :

Jan 25, 2016

It would come in handy if a backup task could be placed on the desktop (with an icon) and started by double-clicking.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 27, 2016

You can already do that with a bit of manual work:

1. Create a shortcut to bvckup2.exe
2. Modify it start with

--command start "Your-Backup-Description"

This makes use of the app's command-line control:
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/411

JohnO :

Jan 31, 2016

I bought Bvckup 2 about a week ago and it's really awesome!
I was wondering if you could perhaps under filters add an option to filter by file size (i.e. only include files smaller than or larger than x)

Another awesome feature would be (though I guess this would be a somewhat bigger project) if it was possible to sync into a zip, tar, or other archive file similar to what some other backup programs do, i.e. there are directories on one end and a (possibly encrypted) archive file on the other end which gets updated if there are changes.

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 10, 2016

Hi JohnO, sorry I missed your comment.

Filtering by file size is already supported, though it requires a bit of INI file editing - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/632

With regards to backing up into a compressed container file - technically it's not hard to do, but practically there are no plans to support this, at least not as a part of _Bvckup_ product. The primary reason is that this will simply blur the focus of the app, making it a less exact fit (and therefore less appealing) for both basic mirroring setups *and* for the cases you describe.

If you are after compression, a better option is to enable NTFS compression for the backup folder (or even the whole drive). If you are after encryption, then you can either back up onto an encrypted drive (using TrueCrypt or BitLocker) or encrypt data at source and back up the underlying crypto container.

timmyx :

Feb 18, 2016

Hi Alex, I tested the software and so far I can say it's one of the best I've used in a long time. The interface is very user friendly and clean.  I'm personally considering to purchase a license. But before that I'd like to check if you:

a) could implement 'versioning', the ability to store different versions of a single file in a dedicated folder inside the destination. This is very useful for logs that keep changing over time and must be kept for future history.
b) 2-way sync (I've read your comments on this but I guess we cannot stress this enough, this is really useful).

thanks

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 19, 2016

Timmyx, there is a basic support for versioning already and a proper implementation is essentially what Bvckup 3 will be about.

https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/502/2958 - v2 versioning
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/158/1049 - v3 versioning

With regards to the two-way sync - there are no plans for this at the moment. There is a chance we'll get around to supporting it, but it will not be a part of *Bvckup*, but rather as a separate app (Svnc?).

This has to do with not letting the focus of the app wander and blur. Once the app starts to do more than one principal thing, it starts to lose its appeal for all cases that it covers. It also starts to bloat. Neither is something that I'm OK with.

Perspex :

Mar 13, 2016

Hi, I'm currently trialling Bvckup2 and so far it is brilliant. I don't seem to be able to find an option to force a backup to run on shutdown. Is this something that could be added?

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 01, 2016

@Perspex: a proper way to do it is the other way around - shutdown the machine at the end of a backup run. See here for details: https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/571/3774

rillig :

Apr 15, 2016

Bvckup2 is great for copying files and making backups. Does it also provide a simple way to restore a backup completely? Simply speaking, run a backup with the “Backup from” and “Backup to” folders reversed?

I have looked in the main menu, right-clicked on a backup, but found nothing appropriate. Did I miss something?

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 15, 2016

No, you didn't miss anything. Restoring files is indeed a simple matter of one-time copying them in reverse direction.

As it's a inherently trivial function that has plenty of native Windows analogs (from Windows Explorer to copy/xcopy/robocopy) it is not included in the app. Do you think it should be a part of the app?

Hjalmberi :

Apr 21, 2016

Hi Alex, just downloaded the trial of Bvckup2 and ran into an issue - I only need to back up selected folders without making extra copies of system and temporary files. Start with an empty list seems to be working good for folders selection, but all the beautiful rules for excluding 'extra' files disappear when Start with an empty list is chosen.

Am I missing something? Or may be you are planning to add .tmp-like filters for Start... in the next version?

Froggie :

Apr 21, 2016

Once you start with your blank list and add your folders, just use the ADD rule feature and add in the exceptions you want.

Hjalmberi :

Apr 21, 2016

Yes, I see that option. What I'm asking is the ready-made set of rules excluding temporary and system files. Which are common and as far as I see are already included into "Include everything" setup.

vwillems :

Apr 23, 2016

I was wondering if it would be possible to rethink the archive naming structure. It would be easier to restore previous versions if the file name did not change. Instead of renaming the files with a timestamp it would be easier if the files were recreated in a folder with folder after the timestamp. If you then would need to restore a whole directory one could jut copy the files instead of having to go through renaming each file.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 25, 2016

@Hjalmberi - OK, noted. Will do in some form in the next release.

@vwillems - Good point, thanks. Originally, the archive was meant to be a safety net for very rare screw-ups, so the easy of restoring from it was not exactly at the top of the list. I'll see what I can do about this.

Hjalmberi :

Apr 26, 2016

You rock! Thanks!

pbilling :

Apr 30, 2016

Alex,  Been using Bvckup2 for a couple of weeks now and love it.  One issue I'm having is debugging errors.  It would be great if there was an easy way to filter the logs for JUST the errors so I could easily find and debug them.  Perhaps a switch to show only errors?  Thanks for a truly great piece of software!

fbifido :

May 16, 2016

I would like to backup to AWS, Google or Azure ?
With the speed of Bvckup2.

Thanks.

ergoproxy :

Jun 19, 2016

Hey, Ive been using Bvckup 2 for a week now and it is doing perfect job i copying :)

But Im missing a FEATURE of copying source files to MULTIPLE LOCATIONS at once, which basically means I want to copy directory from disk F to disks H and N simultaneously.

Thanks in advance for looking into it.

IntouchSupport :

Jul 21, 2016

A feature that would be really useful for us is the ability to trigger an email if the backup completes with no changes detected. Since we are constantly doing backups, no changes means something's gone wrong with the source files, so it would be a very useful alert to receive.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 22, 2016

But you will also NOT be getting an alert if something happens to the app itself, meaning that the lack of the alert will mean both a critical condition and the lack of thereof.

Have you considered enabled alerts on completion of every run, adding $STATS_FILES variable to it and then doing the server-side filtering based on its value?

AaronP :

Aug 02, 2016

+1 collapsible groups

AaronP :

Aug 02, 2016

Would rock to be able to create a new backup using an existing one as a template (or to be able to set my own global defaults for new bakups). I almost always use the same settings, but it requires a lot of clicking to get each backup set up.

AaronP :

Aug 02, 2016

A massive speed boost would be achieved in my use case by providing a global (or group-level, if/when the collapsible groups go in) setting to run all backups that are drive exclusive in parallel. Right now if I have two backups that are, say:
C -> Q
D -> R
It could do both those at full speed, but instead it does them sequentially unless I go in and force it to start the second one.

AaronP :

Aug 02, 2016

Maybe I'm missing it, but an estimated time and MB/s readout would be very useful. I'm always just kinda nervous when I can't see those. Ok, that's it for now. I *LOVE* bvckup, btw... super great. Keep it up!

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 02, 2016

create a new backup using an existing one as a template

I suspect you never right-clicked on a backup job :)

A massive speed boost

At the moment it's either "all jobs in parallel" or "all jobs in one queue" (controlled by the "concurrent jobs" setting from Preferences), but shortly we'll be adding support for multiple job queues. Each queue executes its jobs sequentially, but queues themselves are serviced in parallel.

an estimated time and MB/s

ETA is coming up shortly. Stay tuned.

AaronP :

Aug 03, 2016

I suspect you never right-clicked on a backup job :)

Ack you're of course totally right about the right-click. I just saw that and came running back here, but you beat me to it ;)

At the moment it's either "all jobs in parallel" or "all jobs in one queue"

(controlled by the "concurrent jobs" setting from Preferences), but

shortly we'll be adding support for multiple job queues. Each queue

executes its jobs sequentially, but queues themselves are serviced in

parallel.

Awesome.

ETA is coming up shortly. Stay tuned.

Even more awesome!

AaronP :

Aug 03, 2016

This one has probably been covered before, but man it still trips me up every time, so I just gotta get it out there and you can tell me why I'm crazy. I go to double-click a task to run it, and it pops up the options instead. I'm just so used to 'double-click = execute/right click for settings' in windows (and you do have the right-click part). I know I know, another request for a 'settings option' in a system you're working hard to keep clean, but it really would be nice to have an option for left-click to run the clicked backup.

A 'Run All' button would be super helpful too.

AaronP :

Aug 03, 2016

Someday it would be totally awesome for you to do an app to replace the windows file copy. Your copy stuff is so fast and nice, it would be sweet to use it instead of the clunky windows ones, and the buggy, crashy (and not super pretty) Teracopy.

Bamit :

Aug 03, 2016

AaronP said - A 'Run All' button would be super helpful too.
- - -
Aaron,  A Run All type of button would be nice, but for now, there are two easy ways to achieve this.

1)   Ctlr-A to select all jobs, then hit the Go Button
or
2)   Right Mouse click on the tray icon and select Backup Everything

Hope this helps.....

AaronP :

Aug 03, 2016

Ah yeah, thanks! I do know that I can do it, I just want it to be super easy, since it's what I do about half the time I interact with the software. The other half of the time, I want to run one profile (hence the desire for double-click to just run the clicked backup) ;) Common-case fast, etc etc ;)

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 03, 2016

You can also Ctrl-click on the empty space to right from the toolbar buttons. This acts like Ctrl-A. Then click Go.

Re: double-click - let me see what I can do.

adrian_green :

Aug 25, 2016

Thinking about archiving (I have searched for this but I hope I'm not duplicating) - is it possible to apply filters to what gets archived?

In a realtime backup I have there are a lot of transient files - they have the same name, but are deleted and recreated every few minutes.
They do need to be backup up though as they contain critical data.

So my question is - can we apply file and folder filters to the archiving part of Bvckup 2?

The outcome would be those files would always be up to date in the backup, but not placed in the archive.

Bamit :

Aug 25, 2016

Adrian_Green, this topic may help:
https://www.bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/640

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 25, 2016

@adrian - ha, that's an interesting idea. "Let me see what we can do" ;)

@Bamit - Adrian is asking if it's possible to have some files deleted and some files archived based on a separate set of filters.

adrian_green :

Aug 26, 2016

I've created cleanup scripts to remove the transients from the archive on a cron job.  

There are around 350,000 'transient' files being created per day - it's not so bad. However they do outnumber the 'real' files by 100 to 1...

[I wouldn't want to leave it unattended ( 5M transient files over a 14 day retention period)]

adrian_green :

Aug 27, 2016

I have a question about symlink folder (and files).

I have a source code folder that contains a few hundred git repos, and thousands of libraries and reference documents that span over many years of an ongoing project.

To organize the information within, and reduce duplication, there is liberal use of symlinked folders.  All symlink folder targets are within the backup source - therefore they are relative to the target.

I don't want a backup to traverse folders. In my case this would create an unreasonable amount of duplicated data. But I also don't want the  symlink folders (and a few files) ignored.

So  here's the request - might it be possible to detect the case that a symlink folder (or file) is relative to the target and is within the source, that the symlink be re-created with the relative path at the destination?  I understand that symlinks may have either static or relative paths - the recreated link would best have a fully relative path.

There is shell extension - "LinkShellExtension" that embodies this very idea to a much further degree. It has a function "Drop Here: Smart Copy/Mirror"

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

The description for which: "Smart Copy creates a copy of the directory structure from the source location to the destination, but it preserves the inner hardlink structure and inner junction/symbolic link relations of the source, and recreates this inner hardlink structure and inner junction/symbolic link relation at the destination location"

I found your discussion here: http://bvckup2.com/news/02-11-2012 and it seems the outcome from that survey was to ignore or traverse.  I wish I'd been a (voting) user back then.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 01, 2016

I hear you, but at the end of the day symlinks is still an alien feature on Windows, primarily used by Unix transplants. Just look at how "mklink" needs full admin privileges - it's clearly a bit of an afterthought for NTFS rather than a first-class feature.

You are literally the first person I am aware of who is consciously using symlinks on Windows. I understand *why* you do that, I'm just saying that it is exceptionally rare.

Now weigh it against the development cost and all the extra code that will end up getting into the backup engine and the ignore/traverse decision will probably make more sense.

adrian_green :

Sep 02, 2016

Understood. When I have time I'll create a powershell script or something to perform this bit. Thanks for the explanation!

David_Rossberg :

Sep 02, 2016

Sorry I haven't read through all the suggestions above but I would like to make a feature request (that is most likely a new program request in reality).

The ability to clone a windows installation.

TheGorillaGuide :

Sep 24, 2016

Fantastic piece of software Alex.

I have my backup NAS drive switched off on the weekends. If my computers are turned on, it's for non work use. Would it be possible to have switches in the settings to set bvckup to only run on the designated days, i.e. Monday-Friday? That way it would not be alerting me to the fail condition on the other days.

jan.slanc :

Sep 30, 2016

I agree with -TeGorilaGuide- I have similar problem.
From MO to FRI is normal daily backup (all servers on Archive1).
On SATURDAY is different backup needs (weekly needs of backup)
On SUNDAY I copying all from Archive1 to Archive2 (approx. 8TB)
The Bvckup2 is really fast and I get some free time over the night, but I still need Saturday and Sunday in other regime.
In /Periodic backup/ /Schedule/ /Backup interval/ should be options for disable Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su

Lp
Jan

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 30, 2016

I hear you, gentlemen.

A proper way to support this is, I think, through a notion of "quiet times". That is, to allow setting periods when backup runs are suppressed. It can be the weekdays, it can be the night hours, etc. And it shouldn't be limited to scheduled backups, but also cover real-time ones.

This should work for your purpose, correct?

jan.slanc :

Sep 30, 2016

THX for quick response. I’m searching but I can’t find –quiet times- switches or settings in applications.
Give me a hint ….please -:)

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 30, 2016

It's not in the app yet. Only on ToDo list... though close to the top of it :)

AaronP :

Nov 18, 2016

I see there is a MB/s readout now when a large file is being copied (if you are fast enough click on the message and switch the mode to it). It would be very useful to have an average MB/s readout for the whole copy job (or a sliding window), too. Like next to the "Step X of Y" text or something. That info is critical for tracking whether copy speed is going as it should. I'm pushing like 19TB of data from external drives to my nas with bvckup right now, so... speed feedback is really important.  

Elliot :

Jan 06, 2017

Would love the ability to use your app for backup to Amazon Cloud Drive.

sunk818 :

Jan 26, 2017

@Elliot other than data duplication, can't you already do that? I backup to a local drive which happens to be my Dropbox folder. Dropbox then uploads the new data to the cloud. Drives are so cheap these days, you could have a workaround sooner than having the author consider it as a feature.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 26, 2017

Fair point. Author agrees :)

spenprase :

Feb 15, 2017

any grouping backup's together? i have a site where i have round 20 backups running and would like to group them by type with maybe a dropdowns where i have a list of backups by type and then a dropdown that shows the backups for that type.

shane :

Mar 16, 2017

Feature request for scheduling backups daily mon to fri and not weekends

amckenna :

Mar 24, 2017

I'd like to see a change to the email parameters.  I'd like to send an email on completion with any error or without an error and at least one file changed.  I'd like to skip sending an email if there have been no changes and the process completes successfully.

londonGen :

Mar 25, 2017

I am a home user and software is at its best when it is not noticeable and doing its job without fuss in the background, so I am pleased to have discovered and using this app for over a few months!

I have a request to make, I would like an option to manually or maybe also to set timed intervals, a full scan of the state of the backup compared to the original so that I have some extra confidence that nothing has been corrupted over time. Maybe this could also incorporate a media scan but not sure if that it a bit out of scope.

I use Delta Copying and Destination Snapshot to minimise the application resouce and time so to be able to verify my backup periodically, say twice a year or before I am about to use my backup for a PC or HDD migration would be very useful. Would be happy to pay extra for such an "add-on".

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 25, 2017

I would like an option to manually or maybe also to set timed intervals, a full scan of the state of the backup compared to the original so that I have some extra confidence that nothing has been corrupted over time.

Absolutely! This will be making its way into the app shortly.

The media scan *is* a bit out of scope of the app indeed, but we'll see.

Czarek :

Apr 02, 2017

I'm testing Bvckup 2 in the trial period (mostly as service), and I have some ideas to share with you.

1. To get a file versioning on the block level functionality, I use pre-backup script which have:
wmic shadowcopy call create Volume='targert_volume_id'
command. Maybe you can implement this simple functionality as an option in the bvckup interface?

2. To get a smaller number of backup jobs, as a source, I use collective folder which have symlinks to different locations which should be backed up. Maybe you can add an option how far symlinks shoud be followed, to the "Symlinks and junctions -> Follow for directories"? In my case I want to follow symlinks from collective folder, but do not follow symlinks on the real source locations.

3. A part of above symlinks pointing on the network location. But I can't give credential to the resources, because bvckup think, that the source and the target are all on the local drives. I use pre-backup script with net use command to pre-authenticate network location, so I have a workaround, but maybe you can implement similar functionality?

4. As we know, on Windows, network share can be authenticate only on single credential on time. Because of the security reasons and limitations of my NAS, I need to use more than one account, for more granular permission. I have workaround for that. You can login to single network storage on diferrent account, using IP address with first credential and network name with the second credential. Probaby will be possible using even more account names at the same time if you create aliases in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Maybe it will be useful for someone.

5. To avoid unecessary file changes on the destination, I'm revoking writing rights for all account, except bvckup service account. Other users, even administrators, can only read. I believe that give me greater security against threads like cryptolocker and human errors, that defaults permissions. Maybe you can add an option like "secure destination permission" or something similar, which automatic define secure ACL on target drive?

6. I will be delighted, if you implement backup jobs groups and inheritance. For example, I have three backups plan which differ only the destination, interval and start time and the pre-backup scripts. If I need change something, I need to do it on every plan, which is error prone and difficult to maintenance in consistent state. If I will have an ingeritance option, I would make a change in one place only. Remote Desktop Connection Manager do great work with that, you can look on it.

Finally: great work! Increadibly low resource consumption and very high speed. Keep it up!

pepitoe :

Apr 23, 2017

A hopefully simple suggestion, in the Archiving details dialog there is a dropdown which lets you choose minutes, hours, days or weeks for the delete after value.  I would like to keep a backup of anything deleted for a while before it is removed, so a 'months' option would be helpful rather than just having to work out and enter a high number of weeks.

thanks

Iridium :

May 18, 2017

Is there any chance Bvckup 2 will be made available for Linux any time soon?

Many thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

May 18, 2017

The chance of that is vanishingly small, sorry. Creating and distributing commercial desktop software for Linux is very tricky to put it mildly.

mihai :

May 27, 2017

It would be nice the STOP button to say PAUSE instead . I just found out by mistake this ability of it !

mihai :

May 27, 2017

@pepitoe    -- also i think the MONTH option would be a nice addon

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy