The support forum

FTP Destinations

Lurch :

Jul 21, 2014

Just wondering if this has been mentioned or looked at? Would be handy but I can understand why it wouldn't be in Bvckup2.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 21, 2014

No, no plans for this whatsoever, sorry.

Lurch :

Jul 21, 2014

Just to open this up then does anyone have a simple and reliable remote backup procedure, either to run alongside Bvckup2 or something to make it work, like WebDrive or similar?

I tried using some WebDrive type programs some time ago to map FTP folders to local drives but IIRC it was slow and painful, I found it much easier to just fire up Filezilla.

genl :

Jul 21, 2014

Did you try FTPUse? http://www.ferrobackup.com/ftpuse/

Lurch :

Jul 22, 2014

Hmm, maybe I did. Seems to fit the bill though, I think maybe last time it was connection issues as much as local programs that were the issue as this seems to be better this time round.

Typically though one of the remote devices takes ages to respond to connection requests so FTPUse just times out and I can't see any way to alter the timeout so it is of limited use unless your remote server is quick at responding.

I'm in the process of building 2 new servers for a remote site so I'll continue experimenting. :)

genl :

Jul 22, 2014

I'm not using such apps myself, but from the looks of FTPUse and considering the overall bad responses about WebDrive, I think FTPUse is your only option. It was built specifically for Ferro Backup System, a software pretty similar to Bvckup (they call it a 'network backup suite').

I mean, if you will have problems with FTPUse, it most probably will be a result of either network issues or server-side settings or requirements. Then the only option would be to set up a command line for transferring all files via Filezilla or similar, which kinda eliminates the need of Bvckup.

It will likely only work without delta patching, also we don't know how many requests to the destination Bvckup sends. FTP won't allow many of those, so this seems to be the primary problem. Makes me think that FTP is just unfitting protocol for performing rapid backup procedures.

Maybe if there is a way to limit the amount of those requests on app's side and make it less-threaded (single-threaded ideally, to support all FTP servers), Bvckup would do that just fine, although it would take more time per job.

Lurch :

Jul 22, 2014

Good point regarding the delta copying. The primary use for this particular job is to sync a local folder of documents with a remote server for access remotely from there so theoretically there won't be much need for delta copying so I could turn it off on this job.

I think I will have to set it up on the local network and see what requests are sent and what the bandwidth usage is like before committing to this idea in full.

tommyla :

Aug 15, 2014

lftp might be a better solution for that
http://lftp.yar.ru/

tommyla :

Aug 15, 2014

you can find windows builds at
http://nwgat.ninja/lftp-for-windows/

tommyla :

Aug 15, 2014

note: lftp mirror and reverse mirror options depending on what way you want to sync

Lurch :

Oct 15, 2014

Well that was a total failure! Pretty sure it was to do with FTPuse and the drivers. In essence Windows won't allocate a drive letter to a 0 byte/dynamic drive so the Dokan driver sets up a 1GB drive with 512Mb used. This then confuses Bvckup as it thinks there is no space at the destination but it creates all of the folders anyway. It also failed creating the granularity stamps.

SO VPN's and mapped drives/UNC paths are a go go.

Another issue I had with FTPuse is that I couldn't rename the drive, and that bugged me as it wasn't the way I wanted it so it was going to go anyway. Shame, as it was a lot simpler with FTP on the remote end.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 16, 2014

This then confuses Bvckup as it thinks there is no space at the destination

Wait, wait. Can you show me relevant part of the log?

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Blog / RSS
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms