The support forum

recently changed files only?

tomfrogger :

Jun 11, 2014

Hi, is it possible to create a job that will only copy files modified in the last couple of days? I want to be able to capture only changed files, is this possible?

Cheers

Tom

Lurch :

Jun 12, 2014

Pretty sure this is exactly what delta copying is. I think it should be doing this by default.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 12, 2014

Unless you want to capture files in last two days *but not sooner*, then Lurch is correct, this is the default mode operation. The app always does incremental updates of the backup. It won't re-copy files that haven't changed since the last run. And with delta copying it won't re-copy unmodified *parts* of files either.

Does this answer your question?

Silvernine :

Jun 13, 2014

Decided not to open up a new thread and ask it here instead since it's an exclusion type request as well. Do you think it would be nice if Bvckup2 also has the option to exclude file depending on the input size? Like: "Backup everything unless the file size is larger than 2048 MB". It would probably go in the same section as the current "What to backup".

Lurch :

Jun 14, 2014

What would be the reason for a rule like that?

Silvernine :

Jun 14, 2014

Hello! For example I have varios ISOs and archived files. There's a mixed of files that are larger than 1 GB and others that tends to be around 25 MB to 250 MB. I can't simply just exclude *.ISO or *.RAR files since it would exclude all of them regardless of their size. I want to backup these "smaller" files but I don't necessary need it to backup much larger archives or disk images so an option to restrict size would be useful.

Lurch :

Jun 15, 2014

OK, makes sense. Although I do that same by telling Bvckup not to backup certain folders and keep files that I don't need backing up in their respective folder.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 16, 2014

Uhm. I can see how this can be useful and it is not very hard to add, but on the other hand it's a marginal feature that will be used only by a tiny fraction of users. As such I am rather leery of adding it to the UI, at least to the mainstream version of it. Keeping UI lean and simple is *the* priority for me.

What I *can* do is add an .ini-level support for this feature, which an eventual aim to add UI support for all advanced features like this in a form of "Advanced" key-value list. Similar to how uTorrent has it.

Silvernine, can you give me an idea how critical this feature for you is? E.g. how many files would fall under this filter should it be available?

Lurch, are you too excluding by size or is it some other criteria?

Lurch :

Jun 16, 2014

No, although I can see what Silvernine is doing I can't see why you would want to. Any exclusions I make are generally by folder which is a lot easier to implement on a user level and I also know exactly what is going to get backed up. I don't like the idea of the 'backup by size' idea.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 16, 2014

Yep, that's my sentiment too. That's why I'm hesitant.

Silvernine :

Jun 16, 2014

I can understand the sentiment and would not mind an ini-level support for this option.

The reason why I asked is: I have a folder with several thousand files. Each of the files are already organized and are put into their respective sub-folders. There are also a lot of files that are a couple hundred megabytes and bigger. These files don't need to be backed up since I have an older snapshot of the folder on a different and much larger drive since the larger files don't change very frequently (they add up to over 1 TB). However, the "little" files changed quite frequently and therefore these need to be backed up frequently onto my main backup drive (smaller size) which is used to backup frequently changed files. Therefore a size exclusion in this case would be useful since I'm backup up "important" files that gets changed and added a lot.

The benefit is that I don't need to put the large files in their own directory (since that would also mean they're not organized anymore and are not together with the "little" files that they are associated with) to exclude.

Silvernine :

Jun 16, 2014

Wait, I forgot to ask. Can the ini-level support be per job basis rather than a global key?

Lurch :

Jun 16, 2014

My solution would be a bigger backup drive. I would much rather know that everything is backed up regardless of size. a 1TB drive is £40, so if I was looking at buying a new drive then getting a size larger would cost less than £40. I think if you use a 'don't back up anything larger than x' rule then something bad will happen one day, seems a bit russian roulette.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 16, 2014

Wait, I forgot to ask. Can the ini-level support be per job basis rather than a global key?

Yes, certainly.

JacobMoreagles :

Jun 16, 2014

I agree with Lurch on all points, this is a recipe for disaster.

If you must do it, the only way it's safe is with 2 backup Jobs. One backs up everything  <40gb and the other backs everything up >40gb. Otherwise you're guaranteed to lose data in the long term.

Silvernine :

Jun 16, 2014

@ Lurch
I agree. It's just that I'm using what I can since I'm pretty much a poor student that don't have a steady income (that already ended up buying a license for Bvckup2 since I was too impressed with it) so I try to use what I have. So I have backups across various mix and matches of hard drives of various sizes, manufacturers, and interfaces (PATA, SATA, externals). Not the best way and clean way but I do try to note everything so that I know where what is what.

@ JacobMoreagles
And that's exactly how I plan on doing and have been doing it. In my previous FreeFileSync setup before Bvckup2, I had 3 total backup schedules for this particular computer. 1: For simple Windows profile backup. 2: For backing up the folder I was talking about for files less than 500 MB. 3:  For backing up files larger than 500 MB with destination on a different drive that I once in a while connect.

If it's a recipe for disaster, then the better for it to be an ini-level tweak for users that "possibly know what they're risking and dealing with"? If we call it a recipe for disaster though, I think it's pretty similar to how we can say that file/folders inclusion/exclusion rules are risky in the same way that if you don't know what you're doing, you might end up excluding or including files and folders you don't want.

Thanks!

JacobMoreagles :

Jun 16, 2014

@Silvernine
I agree with the ini option. As a feature I can see uses for it outside of you wanting an economical option.
The cause for concern is if you're expecting a file to be backed up because it's >500mb and you update it so that it becomes >500mb, it will not be backed up like you expect it to.
I don't pay attention to file sizes when saving because it's not part of the file saving process, whereas where the file is saved is very much on the forefront of the whole process.

Folder/file exclusions are a little different because it takes thought to setup, sure you could copy a file into a directory that isn't backed up, but as a user it's your responsibility to setup those exclusions in a way that makes good sense.

Lurch :

Jun 17, 2014

So I have backups across various mix and matches of hard drives of >various sizes, manufacturers, and interfaces (PATA, SATA, externals). Not >the best way and clean way but I do try to note everything so that I know >where what is what.

I had a NAS solution like this once, an old PC, some random drives with a cheap PCI IDE controller and a copy of FreeNAS. I lost everything! Big lesson learned there. Now I have 2 NAS devices running RAID 1 with different backups mirrored across different devices. Sure, not everyone can afford £150 for a decent entry level NAS, or more for a decent one but Bvckup is a serious tool though, I wouldn't want to see it have options in it for edge cases where people are doing it wrong.

An ini level switch would be fine, but I don't think it's a setting that belongs in the UI.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 17, 2014

The cause for concern is if you're expecting a file to be backed up because it's >500mb and you update it so that it becomes >500mb, it will not be backed up like you expect it to.

That's the thing, exactly. Inclusion starts to depend on a file property that is dynamic. That's what's atypical.

On the other hand if Silvernine's setup is such that files can be statically clustered based on size (i.e. they don't float across 500MB boundary), then it's a legit inclusion criteria. It may be a marginal case and it does require care when deployed, but that's pretty much how all advanced usage of any software goes. You just assume that people know what they are doing.

Silvernine :

Jun 17, 2014

@ JacobMoreagles
Yep and I completely agree. I chose 500 MB for my setup specifically because most of the "small" files are around 400 MB and less while the "larger" files are typically 700 MB and larger. As you can see, it's somewhat in the center so should (keyword is should) not be an issue. Also in my case, the file itself don't change. It's the files that are added and removed consistently and frequently that needs to be dealt with.

Basically my case is rare, special, and very much not the norm. However, I still see usage for such a feature since I have seen it and used it many backup software over the years so in some ways, I find it as a pretty common and normal feature.

@ Alex
Yeah something like that haha. It tends to be the documenting that becomes a bit of an issue at times. Although Don, a developer for XYplorer (a file manager), tends not to document at all any of the advanced or odd features. It's up to the advanced users to search for it in the forums so you could do it that way to. Leave them to search the Bvckup2 forum-world for hidden tweaks and flags and find "endless" treasures under the simplicity of Bvckup2's UI.

sunk818 :

Feb 14, 2018

Is this feature by chance implemented? If so, how do I use it? I perform a backup of a folder once a day, but wouldn't mind files changed in the last day to have a more aggressive schedule.

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 14, 2018

It is implemented.

"Backup Settings" > "Backup What" > Add... > More > "Last Modified"
Tick the "On or after" checkbox and look at the tooltip behind "?"

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Blog / RSS
Miscellanea Press resources