The support forum

More schedule options?

genl :

Oct 22, 2013

Is there a possibility to run a job during each OS startup and/or shutdown?
I suppose this would need a service mode to be active, however I'm  not sure if this mode means that Bvckup will be automatically added to autostart.

Also, if I want the app to do the job daily I can set it to 24h interval. What if I want it to skip doing it on weekends? I could set something using Windows Task Scheduler, but then I'd need to know how to use commandline options for Bvckup... The help-file is not available yet it seems.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 22, 2013

Is there a possibility to run a job during each OS startup and/or shutdown?

During shutdown - no, not possible in general. Windows gives apps very little time to respond to the shutdown notification, it won't be possible to run the backup without aborting the shutdown.

During startup - periodic (scheduled) backups that missed their run *may* run on startup or after Windows is resumed. This is controlled by a respective option behind "Edit details" next to Scheduled item in Backup When section of backup config.

What if I want it to skip doing it on weekends?

This is not supported. The workaround, if really needed, is to set up 5 jobs, one for each workday, have them go into the same directory and set them all to rescan destination on every run.

genl :

Oct 23, 2013

During startup - periodic (scheduled) backups that missed their run *may* run on startup or after Windows is resumed

I see, although I'd still prefer a separate option "on Bvckup launch" or similar.

For weekends, maybe then a better idea is to use Windows Task Scheduler to either kill Bvckup service on weekends or run it as application 5 days per week. As long as I don't need to do any other backup jobs on weekends, of course.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 23, 2013

I have a feature called "quiet hours" on a ToDo list. This is to specify days and hours when the backup shouldn't run. I think this will fit your needs nicely.

I can't promise though that it'll be done soon, but it *will* be done.

Also, on a more general note, the service mode is meant primarily for unattended machines (servers). For desktops, where the backup is handling user's data, there's really no benefit in running bvckup as a service, because typically no user data is modified when the user is logged out.

genl :

Oct 23, 2013

Thanks, good to know something will be done about it.

As for the service mode, I can think of a few things:
- Windows allows to set the priority to optimize either user-mode applications or background services. Depending on this a user may want to run some apps in service mode.
- There are multi-user configurations where some apps may need to work even when no one is logged in. I think a PC doesn't need to be a server for its main user to decide he wants some data to get copied elsewhere in unattended mode, or between user sessions.
- There is a possibility to run Bvckup without a tray icon in service mode, right?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 23, 2013

- There is a possibility to run Bvckup without a tray icon in service mode, right?

Yep, just close its window. The service runs as a separate process so it will keep on running.

adlerweb :

Oct 25, 2013

Maybe it would be a nice thing to have the possibility to add multiple triggers like for windows' scheduled tasks - havn't tested v2 yet, but v1 missed sometimes filechanges in continous mode (guess if only attributes are changed, will report once i tested v2) so i used a second job to force a sync once per day.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 26, 2013

@adlerweb - The v2 replicates the attribute change, but it doesn't act on it. That's a limitation of how Windows' file system monitoring works (the monitoring that bvckup uses).

kostas.michas :

Jun 06, 2017

Hi Alex,

It's been almost 4 years when we expressed our interest about the "quiet hours" feature and obviously was on your to do list. Do you see it coming any time soon this year? It will be tremendously helpful for everyone as we all use it for business purposes.

Cheers,
Kostas

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 07, 2017

Hi Kostas,
Will try and get an INI-based version into the next release.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms