The support forum

Scripted installation questions

Doequer :

May 09, 2021

Is there a way of "silently" replicating what the regular, "GUI" based, installer does when it updates the application even if Bvckup2 is actually running? I mean, I have tried to do a "silent" update of the program, but I noted it will only succeed when it is not running.

Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

May 09, 2021

You will need -Q switch for that, which is "no UI at all" and it's different from -q that will show a progress window, but won't ask any questions.

Doequer :

May 10, 2021

I have tried to use both, the "-q" as well as the "-Q" parameters and they work fine, but they will not work when I try to use them along with a "settings-ini" file:

bvckup2-setup-1.81.5.0.exe -q --install bvckup.ini

By the way, is there a topic which lists all the supported installing switches?

Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

May 10, 2021

You probably have an entry for "ui.mode" in your .ini file. Either remove it or set to 3. Whatever's found in the .ini will override whatever's passed in as a command line argument.

Doequer :

May 10, 2021

I already had a "ui.mode 3" in the ".ini" file, but even after deleting it, the installation fails:

2021.05.10 15:45:58.543 (UTC-3) 0     Parameter is missing its argument

Completed with 102

The content of the ".ini" file is the next:

install.as_admin 1
install.uninstaller 1
install.path "C:\Program Files\Bvckup 2"
install.launch_app 1
install.launch_app_as_admin 1
ui.mode 3

Doequer :

May 14, 2021

I'm wondering if the command line arguments like "-Q" and "-q" could be put into the ".ini" settings' file instead? Otherwise, how to make it work with the above settings' file?

Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

May 14, 2021

-q is "ui.mode 2"
-Q is "ui.mode 3"

You have a syntax error in your command line. The "102" exit code is reported when --install is the last argument in the command line.

If you'd like me to help you further with this, please be very detailed with what exactly you do and what exactly you see. Descriptions like "They will not work" are rather ambiguous.

Doequer :

May 14, 2021

I'm simply trying to update the program while it is running, in a silent way like when using the "-q" argument, but using the ".ini" setting file as well. Is that possible? Or rather, I should update it either using one (".ini" setting file with ui mode 2/3 and the program being closed), or the other ("-q" in the cmd) only.

Trying to install it the next way:

bvckup2-setup.exe --install bvckup.ini

Using the next settings file:

install.as_admin 1
install.uninstaller 1
install.path "C:\Program Files\Bvckup 2"
install.launch_app 1
install.launch_app_as_admin 1
ui.mode 2

Works as intended, but for new installations or updating the program when it is closed only.

While, installing it the next way:

bvckup2-setup.exe -q

Launches a "normal", non-silent installation in case the program isn't already installed, while performing a "quiet" update in case it is installed, even if the program is already running.

Basically, I'm trying to use a unique batch file to either do new installations or updating the program in a "quiet" way. The thing is, using the settings file mode will not allow me to make updates when the program is running, while using the "-q" mode will do that, but can't be used along with a settings file to make new installations quietly.

Alex Pankratov :

May 16, 2021

OK, so.

When invoked without --install or --update, the installer will always check if the program is installed and do an install or an update respectively.

If the program wasn't installed (i.e. there's no Uninstall registry entry to that effect), it can still be updated with "bvckup2-setup.exe -e <path-to-the-exe>"

You can force the installer to ignore its "is it installed ?" check and just try and update the installation with "bvckup2-setup.exe --update <ini-file>". In this case, only ui.* section of the .ini is used and the install.* section is ignored.

Ditto for the "--install", it will too suppress the check and force the setup to _install_ the program.

So to have your script either silently update or silently install the program, you will need it to do --update first and if it fails do --install.

Doequer :

May 26, 2021

Hi, thanks for your explanation. I just tried the next:

1- Install the program normally.

2- Having it opened or closed, I tried to update it the next way:

bvckup2-setup.exe --update bvckup.ini

Such "ini" file having only a "ui.mode 2" or "ui.mode 3" as parameter.

3- Installation fails with a "Cannot determine where Bvckup 2 is installed." message for mode 2, and a "2140" for mode 3.

It seems the installer still isn't ignoring its installation condition despite using the "--update" argument.

Alex Pankratov :

May 27, 2021

[ I've split your questions into a separate thread ]

Cannot determine where Bvckup 2 is installed

This means there's no InstallLocation entry under Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Bvckup2 in the registry. The setup will look under HKCU if it's run as a limited user and under HKLM if it's run as an elevated admin.

If you _are_ running the update using an .ini and as admin, you will also need to add "update.as_admin 1" to the ini to tell it about this.

Finally, all this said - bear in mind that everything that is not documented in the original thread [1] is a subject to change. What I wrote above explains how it works now, but it doesn't mean it's going to continue working this way. This is the reason why it's not documented fully - to allow for backwards-incompatible changes in the future.

[1] https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/801

Doequer :

May 27, 2021

OK, that was the only needed to make it work.

And that last paragraph answers my previous question regarding why there weren't posted all the available installer's switches.

Thanks.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms