The support forum

Bvckup crash - Not responding

AndyMidd :

Jul 07, 2020

V81.4. Windows Insider build 20161 64 bit). 24GB.
I created a new backup (similar to an existing one, but to a removable drive).
It started the copy process, got about a third of the way through, then the funny stuff started,
1) "Not responding" intermittently.
2) Copy process hung (at least no progress indicated on GUI, stuck on one file),
3) Resource monitor showed 18 Bvckup threads - all using zero cpu,
4) GUI window kept vanishing, and restoring.
5) Attempts to use any window controls ignored - including window move,
6) Finally Windows closed the app.

Eventually I managed to restart the app (the first time it closed itself), and all resumed normally.
Everything seemed to point to the removable drive (a USB Hdd), but there is nothing in the event log, and an error scan revealed nothing.

Weird!

Event log
Fault bucket 1674012752187455261, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: bvckup2.exe
P2: 1.81.4.0
P3: 5ee90d0e
P4: 6e45
P5: 134217728
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER8926.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER89B3.tmp.xml
WPR_initiated_DiagTrackMiniLogger_OneTrace User Logger 20200629 1 Event Collector_0_inject.etl
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER8A80.tmp.etl
WPR_initiated_DiagTrackMiniLogger_WPR System Collector_inject.etl
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER8A81.tmp.etl
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER8A8D.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER8AFC.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Users\andy\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA2AD.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_bvckup2.exe_37bb2b2f7420e1ecfceecbc6b678de6332c12e7_672b8bc4_0b19ea2a-a65b-4bd9-b8f3-9785d024cfb4

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 1a2df8b4-a4b5-49a1-b412-8e676f9a5a24
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 5a9276b08862db5b073b49ba939b771d
Cab Guid: 0

The program bvckup2.exe version 1.81.4.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 38bc
Start Time: 01d6543b9d07b9b7
Termination Time: 27140
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Bvckup 2\bvckup2.exe
Report Id: 1a2df8b4-a4b5-49a1-b412-8e676f9a5a24
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Unknown

And there is nothing recorded in the log file 'USER'\Appdata\Local\Bvckup2\bvckup2.log - for about 15 minutes before (and including) the crash.

I have the Windows WER minidump.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 07, 2020

I have no ready answer for you, this is something I haven't seen before.

"Not responding" condition means that the program's UI thread stopped fetching UI messages from the program's queue. Based on what you are describing it would seem that the UI was preoccupied with something else and had little time to service the message queue. I can't readily think of what it could've been.

That said, I really doubt this is related to the USB drive being used.

I assume you don't run any sort of skinning/theming 3rd party software? Something that would hook into normal window message processing and rendering.

Secondly, do you have any periodic _monthly_ jobs?

The only way to resolve this would be for you to keep an eye on this and see if it's reproducible. I can only see that the next release will have some diagnostics to try and catch the details of this if it happens.

If you are OK with sharing bvckup2.log, please forward a copy to support@iobureau.com and I'll take a look. I hear you about nothing being recorded for 15 mins prior to the incident, but it won't hurt to have a look.

AndyMidd :

Jul 07, 2020

Thanks (quick respose, too!)
I will send the logs.

No skinning or theming apps: I usually work with full screen windows, never see the background....

No, no periodic _monthly_ jobs.

Its the first time I've seen this with Bvckup, so not confident of a repeat.

Now there's another wrinkle: when I restarted Bvckup, it showed logs in its window that don't exist in the file log. These logs are partly for the missing time in the file log. It may be coincidence, but this all started around the time of a new task to newly plugged in USB. For me, its always the last thing that is the suspect!

Yes, The UI queue was stuck - but the other apps on Windows are OK/normal.

Oh oh, just seen a wrinkle: I develop a .NET/c# application, with Visual Studio (16.6.3). Bvckup saves my work on detect changes - its always been happy to it until now. Today, when I start debugging my app, Bvckup GUI gets unhappy: the flashing/window gone and back, the close X highlighting itself.  SO in the logs this is after about 13.30.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy