The support forum

Duplicate file error

Psychicactus :

Mar 17, 2020

Hi Alex,

Near the beginning of a pretty large backup job, the following error came up:
2020.03.17 18:19:36.686 (UTC-5) 0 4                 Duplicate file: desktop.ini

Is this an issue and how can it be mitigated? I know the desktop.ini files are not significant but I have the email alert set up to send on changes and errors - and I don't want to receive an alert every time a desktop.ini file error comes up, since that is not a significant error.

On that note, how does the software define "critical errors" for email alert purposes?

Thanks.

Psychicactus :

Mar 18, 2020

Well, here is a follow-up question. This is the first time running this job , and besides the above error, everything seemed to be going fine. It was still in the scanning stages and just now it failed, citing error "Scan of source location failed."
In the log it says
2020.03.17 19:29:06.168 (UTC-5) 0 4                 FindNextFile() failed with 206
and also
2020.03.17 19:29:14.047 (UTC-5) 0 3             Error: source scan failed

The source is a mounted virtual cloud drive via Tresorit, if that makes a difference.

Psychicactus :

Mar 18, 2020

I noticed that the veracrypt volume (destination) had dismounted for some reason by itself, not sure why or if that was related.
(I am doing that thing with pre-post back-up commands and mounting veracrypt that some other users on here were talking about in the past.)
Remounted, rerunning job. Begins scanning source from the beginning...

Psychicactus :

Mar 18, 2020

Happened again, same error, seems to be exact same file. I don't think it is veracrypt self-dismounting or anything, as the log says that bvckup2 ran the post command, which is the dismount command.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 18, 2020

Windows NTFS driver operates in case-preserving case-insensitive fashion. That is, when you create "Desktop.ini" it will remember the capitalization, but it won't allow creating "desktop.ini".

However if you are to mount an NTFS volume under a Unix OS, the latter will be possible, because the NTFS driver handles file names in a case-sensitive manner.

Bvckup 2 operates under the assumption of native Windows NTFS volumes and as such it will ignore duplicates. This is what the error is about.

On that note, how does the software define "critical errors" for email alert purposes?

A critical error is the one that necessitates the abort of a backup run, because it would otherwise be reported for all other backup steps. For example, a "device not present" error or similar. At the moment, the list is ERROR_DISK_FULL, ERROR_BAD_PATHNAME, ERROR_DEV_NOT_EXIST, ERROR_NOT_READY, ERROR_VOLUME_DIRTY, ERROR_DISK_CORRUPT, and ERROR_IO_DEVICE.

Failed with 206

As per [1] this stands for "The filename or extension is too long."

This error should not normally be reported, because bvckup2 uses "extended path" notation to refer to all file system objects. So this is likely due to a buggy or non-compliant 3rd party file system driver or a shim.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/system-error-codes--0-499-

Psychicactus :

Mar 21, 2020

Thanks.

The ini file is basically a hidden settings file, is it not? Is there a way to not have it show up as an error? Would I have to make an exclusion or?

Regarding 206 - this is a dataset of an organization that used to be rife with paths that are too long for windows (win7 machines), so I was not surprised that's what the error meant, but I am pretty sure I mitigated all of that ahead of running this backup (took some work). This particular error is for a path that is 196 characters long. The root folder is a virtual tresorit cloud drive. Any ideas then?

Psychicactus :

Mar 21, 2020

I'm trying to duplicate the error with a dummy test run to understand how it works re duplicate error. Set up source and destination folders with identical files. Then changed capitalization of file names in source. Job ran with no errors. So I don't get why it's an error with desktop.ini.

Psychicactus :

Mar 21, 2020

Files were notepad files.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 22, 2020

The ini file is basically a hidden settings file, is it not?

There gotta be two copies of desktop.ini, differing only in capitalization. That's the only condition when this error will be shown.

Re: 206 - this should not be happening.

This error is reported only if a program is using an older way of addressing files, i.e. X:\path\abc.txt instead of \\?\X:\Path\abc.txt [1]. Bvckup2 operates with the latter kind exclusively and their max length is something like 32000 characters.

There's just something funky going on with the machine setup. Either a corrupted file system or, more likely, some sort of file system shim that incorrectly throws this error even if a path is in the long-form format.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#maximum-path-length-limitation

Psychicactus :

Mar 25, 2020

There gotta be two copies of desktop.ini, differing only in capitalization. That's the only condition when this error will be shown.

Would you say I can delete it to avoid this? It is inside a folder that is a backup from a NAS... I don't think there is any configuration settings we need for that folder.

There's just something funky going on with the machine setup. Either a corrupted file system or, more likely, some sort of file system shim that incorrectly throws this error even if a path is in the long-form format.

No idea what a shim is, but I think you are on to something. I shortened the path because even though it was less than MAX_PATH by a lot, it was still an overly verbose path (some people like to be... uh, very descriptive). I shortened it by renaming a single folder partway in the path. After doing that, the end folder, which was previously empty, suddenly showed 3 new files in it. Two word documents that seem like they should have been there and a shortcut to the end folder (?). Undoing got rid of the files, renaming it again brought them back. Weird. After the rename, ran the job in Bvckup2 again and it ran for a longer time before finding another 206 error with another file, and the same exact results occurred (rename part of path, files magically appear in empty end folder). Not really sure what's going on. Will have to investigate. If you have any insight, feel free to share. I know it is not related to bvckp2. The files are synced to the cloud drive automatically from an external drive which is a manual backup of a NAS… and bvckup is backing up from the cloud drive to another external drive (different geographical locations).

Psychicactus :

Mar 25, 2020

And also, every time this error comes up, Bvckup2 stops the job. Is there a way to make it just skip and continue? At least I could have most of the back-up done save for some of these problems...

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 26, 2020

Is there a way to make it just skip and continue?

Create the %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\engine\bvckup2-engine-override.ini file and add the following line to it -

errors.scan.fatal.error   206

Restart the program. If you are running it in service mode, the location will start with %ProgramData%\Bvckup2\... instead.

See https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/857 for the background of this setting.

Psychicactus :

Mar 26, 2020

Ok, thanks.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials