The support forum

Backup USB on connect and every 60 min

haffy :

Oct 15, 2019

Hi,

I want to backup my USB memory every time it gets connected to my workstation, an if it is also possible I would love so that it also backs it up every 60 min when it is connected. Is this possible?

/ Fredrik

Froggie :

Oct 15, 2019

One or the other is pretty easy... both strategies together seem a bit troublesome.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 15, 2019

Yes, perfectly possible. Set it to run periodically, every hour and then additionally set it to run on device arrival - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1012

haffy :

Oct 15, 2019

Wow fast response, thanks ! Will test it :)

haffy :

Oct 15, 2019

This worked great. Thanks :) This is my favourite program in Windows and has been since I found it. Great work!

Froggie :

Oct 16, 2019

Alex, when I take an existing job that runs every 24-hours and add your above override to its configuration folder, from your above description I expect it to run every 24-hours AND when it appears on the System (waiting for device) for the 1st time.  This does not happen.

Am I reading you wrong?  I am allowing Windows discovery to find the device (unmounted) then at that point I manually MOUNT (using mountvol) it as the lettered volume I am using for the job.  The job is fingerprinted to the device rather than it's mounted letter (I think I tried it both ways) and it fails.

Any help, greatly appreciated (using release 80.5)

Froggie :

Oct 18, 2019

Hello...???  :-)

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 19, 2019

Sorry, traveling.

It should work exactly as per your expectations. The only exception for this scheduling option is that it doesn't apply to mapped/network drives. Otherwise it basically just schedules an immediate run whenever the job moves out from a "waiting for a device" state due to both source and backup devices now being present.

Please double-check your overrides/config. In particular, you should see "conf.run_on_device_arrival" set to 1 in job's settings.ini.

If all looks kosher, the only way to resolve this would be for me to look at a copy of your bvckup2.log (obviously, this doesn't need to be done _here_).

Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Froggie :

Oct 19, 2019

OK, I looked at all the job settings and found the job set not to try when the device becomes available but to wait until the next scheduled time... thought that was the issue.  Changed it to "run as soon as it becomes possible, and when the time hit, the device was off-line.  Instead of trying once and failing with the "destination device is missing" msg, it locks into a tight loop of continued attempt resulting in the "destination device is missing" msg... it never stops.

Checked the job's "Open folder/Configuration and logging" and found the overide.ini your instructions defined and it has the above "conf.run_on_device_arrival             1" setting in it.

Am I still missing something?  I was also assuming that this "feature" would work all the time, not just if the most recent schedule was missed.  Correct me if I'm wrong, pls, thanks!

Froggie :

Oct 19, 2019

Sorry, the file was "override.ini"

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 21, 2019

The "try asap" option is unrelated to the "run on device arrival", but it obviously shouldn't cause a scheduling loop - I'll have a look at that.

Check settings.ini - contents of override.ini are read, applied and then saved as a part of settings.ini, so if an override is in effect, it will show up in the latter. I'll test this on our end as well, but it'll have to wait until next week.

Froggie :

Oct 21, 2019

Thanks for the help!

Froggie :

Oct 21, 2019

The settings.ini of the job involved definitely has the overide value embedded within it.

I'll test some more as well... (I've never used that feature before)

Froggie :

Oct 21, 2019

FYI... the LOOP occurs whenever I hit the scheduled job time (every 24-hrs) and the "Run as soon as it becomes possible" option is set, regardless of the option value for "conf.run_on_device_arrival"

As well, I just can't get "conf.run_on_device_arrival" to do anything different, regardless of its value (0 or 1).  The target device in question is a USB3 external HDD, the source is an internal HDD.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 28, 2019

OK, so I am looking at these right now.

Re-tested "conf.run_on_device_arrival" and it works as expected. I tried both just plugging/unplugging the drive and mounting/dismounting with mountvol. The result is the same, unplugging/dismounting caused the job to go into "Waiting for the original device" state and plugging/mounting yields

2019.10.28 16:48:26  Destination local drive is present
    2019.10.28 16:48:26  Running the backup ...

So we need to compare the details.

=======

Re: scheduling loop - can't reproduce this either. Here's my setup - a periodic job that runs every 6 hours and set to "run asap" (rather than wait for the next scheduled time), destination drive is a USB stick, bound by device fingerpint. Aligned job's running time to be in a minute, unplugged the drive and waited for the run. This netted "Missed a run" complain in the log and that's it. No looping.

Starting the job with Go makes for a failed run, and that's it. Doesn't cause it to loop either.

I think the simplest thing to do would be for you to get me settings.ini for the job in question. Just clear these fields and it should fully anonymize it without stripping off the relevant bits -

conf.src
        conf.dst
        conf._description
        conf.src_track_arg
        conf.dst_track_arg
        conf.filters.*

If you are OK with this, then forward settings.ini to support@iobureau.com and I'll have a look.

Froggie :

Oct 28, 2019

Hi Alex... thanks for the quick test!  I took the MOUNTVOL option out of the loop and now I just power on/off the USB-based HDD allowing normal Windows discovery, nothing really changes.

The result of the last scheduled run just says the normal "failed, destination device not found" which it always says for the normal 24-hr scheduled operation when the device is not on-line.

Lemme know what you need to look at in the way of files...

PS- this is the only external device scheduled job I use, go figger  :-)

Froggie :

Oct 28, 2019

settings.ini on the way.

Just retried the loop condition... same result.  As soon as I set the "run asap" option with the "conf.run_on_device_arrival" set to "1," when the scheduled event hits and the target device is off-line, it enters the loop.

Some brief history... this job has been around since the BETA days, maybe some old settings getting in the way.

Would it be worth rebuilding all my jobs from scratch...?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 30, 2019

OK, the cause has been identified and resolved now, It was a combination periodic backup, set to run as soon as possible, with a storage device missing and, most crucially, the waiting for the missing device suppressed (via this override - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1004/5591).

With all this in place, an attempt to run the job manually will cause it to get re-scheduled for another run immediately after the current run fails.

The workaround is to un-suppress device waiting.
The proper patch will be in 80.6.

Froggie, thanks for your help with tracking this one down.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy