The support forum

OneDrive files downloaded during backup

medrey :

Sep 10, 2019

When backing up the OneDrive folder, Bvckup 2 (version 80.4) downloads some of the files with the status "Available when online" (cloud icon). From reading the recent change logs, I was under the impression that those files would now be skipped as having "no local copy".

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to happen if I delete formerly available local files by clicking the context menu item "free up space". But it does happen whenever files get added to OneDrive from another PC or my Android phone.

Can I somehow prevent Bvckup from downloading those files?

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 11, 2019

Argh. Sounds like Microsoft reworked the OneDrive *again*. They've been so actively messing it in the past year, we all but gave up trying to catch up. I will have a look and check what they did this time.

medrey :

Sep 15, 2019

Great, don't tell me they didn't expose an easily accessible API for getting that information. I know about about StorageFile.IsAvailable on newer iterations of Windows, but I wonder where Windows Explorer is getting that information itself.

Well, let's just hope Microsoft stops messing with it then...

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 20, 2019

Can I somehow prevent Bvckup from downloading those files?

You should be able to do this by adding an Exclude rule for files with Offline attribute.

1.  Backup Settings > Backup What > Details > Add
2.  Set to [Exclude], [files], matching *, click More
3.  Attributes > Must be set > [...] > Offline

Give this a try, let me know how it goes.

Edit

Reading up on OneDrive changes, this likely won't work. They added two other file attributes that describe files offline/online status and these aren't supported by bvckup2 yet. Will have them added into the next maintenance release.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 24, 2019

Update 80.5 is out and it includes an option for skipping over offline files in the OneDrive folder. It is off by default though, so see this topic for instructions on how to enable it - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1245

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy