The support forum

Support for restoring from the backups

Lorenz :

Jul 19, 2019

Hi Alex
Bvckup2 works wonders, but I feel there's no convienent way of restoring from Bvckup2 backups.
Take AutoVer restore as an example
When I browse a back-upped dir, I can see the files, the several version of the files available, and I can restore a dir at a specified point in time.
Check this screenshot as an example: https://ibb.co/zsmrS8n
In the future, could a similar version be implemented? Thanks!

Post 2

Sry, if the above image link is not working, try
https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/7/19/158d5736f89913cc0a658e0df5ba715c-full.png

Post 3

I've read your position about Bvckup being a backup-only tool and not wanting to make it too complex by adding other features.. but then again, maybe a separate backup restore tool, like in the screenshots above, would prove very useful, otherwise, and that's even more true when using file versioning) restoring a previous state is a total pain.. and it has to be done manually.
What's a good backup tool without a convenient way to restore the backups it produces? :)
As always, thanks Alex

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 22, 2019

@Lorenz - I merged all your posts into one and moved it here from "Feature requests" thread.

I still think that restore functionality doesn't belong to the program, because it will still front rather trivial functionality and I am against adding features of this kind, especially if they will have a prominent UI presence, which will imply that they *are* more complicated that they actually are.

The only case where restoring support is justified is when restoring from the _archive_. That, I think, has a simpler solution, which is to change the $Archive to NOT add timestamps to the archived file names.

It was originally done this way because archiving was meant to be a pure safety net feature to help people recovering from accidental deletes at source. In particular, the main scenario was simpler users directing their backups at already populated folder, clicking through all the warnings and then wondering where the heck all their stuff went. That's what the archiving was originally for, and this is why it uses this funky scheme of appending timestamps to the names.

So what I think needs to be done is to just create date/time tagged top-level folder in $Archive for every run that archives something and then store the files/folders there, as is. Restoring from this becomes as trivial as copying stuff back, just like it is for the primary backup copies.

I am planning to make this change within the next two major releases, so hopefully this will help improving usability around "archive_modified" option.

justbackmeup :

Jul 24, 2019

So what I think needs to be done is to just create date/time tagged top-level folder in $Archive for every run that archives something and then store the files/folders there, as is. Restoring from this becomes as trivial as copying stuff back, just like it is for the primary backup copies.

I don't currently use the Archive feature, but I wanted to chime that I think this is a great idea.

Lorenz :

Jul 25, 2019

Hi Alex
Thanks for the kind reply. Maybe a separate restore tool could be an option?

Also, some time ago (post 160 here https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/436) you mentioned that you were also considering a client/Server solution.

I bought two licences, and I really never used them since while Bvckup is excellent at backing up, in my scenario (and I recognize is just me having uncommon requirements) the lack of point in time restore and change tracking are a show stopper.

Take a look at URBackup as an example. It is client/server, it is capable point in time restores and incremental backups by hardlinking old files and copying new etc.
It is not as refined as  your software, but its server parts gives it many advantages..

Again, many thanks

Thomas :

Aug 17, 2019

NOT add timestamps to the archived file names.

I would appreciate the proposed change to the way $Archive works.

In case it would add subfolders like $Archive/2019-02-16/ and the like, it would also be very simple to free disk space by deleting old versions in the archive manually.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 18, 2019

Aye, noted.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials