The support forum

GUI Appearance Slowness After Program's Start

Doequer :

Jun 17, 2019

Hi, some days ago I noted it would take ~ 1' to the program's main window to be shown up after being started, although it gets loaded in memory right away. So, I thought it might be due to one or more of the jobs being somehow the culprit of such delay, but after trying it with a "fresh" configuration (no jobs), the program kept behaving the same way. So, I went to the program's log and found out what "seems to be" the reason of this issue:

2019.06.16 02:04:52.218 (UTC-3) 3 50:3C en | Enumerating storage devices, volumes and drives...
2019.06.16 02:05:52.465 (UTC-3) 3 50:3C en | Storage scanned in 60240 ms, dev 60220 ms, vol 16 ms, drv 03FFFFFF, in full

Currently I have 12 drives, most of them fixed ones, with no labels neither serial numbers changes at all.

So, not that it is a big of an issue, but I'm wondering if is there a way of getting rid of such a delay or, at least, mitigate it?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 17, 2019

You are probably correct regarding the source of the delay, but this particular log entry is not the correct one. The engine does a shallow device scan when the program starts up, avoiding queries that would cause devices to spin up and some such. Once the engine is up, it will then re-scan the storage stack in full, which is done asynchronously, and it may in fact take a while to complete. This is what the log entry is for.

In terms of working around this delay - no, there's no way to do it.

Doequer :

Jun 19, 2019

I was thinking of somehow make the program omit certain fixed drives, since they aren't part on any backup jobs, and thus gaining sometime. But as you explained before, since the general scanning can't be avoided, I will just leave it at that.

Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 19, 2019

I was thinking of somehow make the program omit certain fixed drives, since they aren't part on any backup jobs, and thus gaining sometime.

That's a reasonable request, but this will require populating "ignore" list with storage device IDs rather than drive letters... hmm, let me see what I can do though. It is a good feature to have.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy