The support forum

"Backup Everything" Expected Behavior?

Doequer :

Apr 23, 2019

Hi, I created some test jobs and after using the "Disable all backups" function I noticed there is no way of enabling them all once again, since while in that condition, the "Backup everything" option is greyed out. Then, I enabled just one of the jobs manually, and noted that such option gets available to use, but to no avail since the all the previously disabled jobs will remain that the same condition. Is that the expected behavior? If I remember it correctly, with previous builds the "Backup everything" option didn't got greyed out, and actually did enabled all the inactive jobs at once, when invoked.

In the current state, even when the "Backup everything" feature is still there, I would need to enable all the jobs in a "one by one" basis.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 23, 2019

This is by design, to make sure some unwanted jobs that were previously explicitly disabled are not run by accident.

The behavior was indeed different before and it was changed in 79.13.
See https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1060/6246, item #5.

Doequer :

Apr 24, 2019

I see, but why disallowing the chance of making the rest of non "explicitly" disabled jobs get enabled by such function? I mean, why not implement a half-way solution, in which "Backup everything" not only initiates the backup process for all the currently "active" jobs, but enable those who were previously disabled by its kind of counterpart command? This way, those jobs which were manually disabled would still not be affected, and at the same time,  the user will be free of the hassle which supposes enabling the remaining jobs (which in my case were quite some of them), one by one.

Otherwise, maybe you just can implement a "Enable all backups" function, to at at least avoid said issue.

smihai :

Apr 30, 2019

I've also stumbled upon this when i needed to disable everything to remap some drive letters. I selected all the jobs in the main windows, right-click > Command > Enable, and enables them all.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 30, 2019

why disallowing the chance of making the rest of non "explicitly" disabled jobs get enabled by such function?

Because the way in which a job was disabled is not remembered and it's not possible to tell apart jobs disabled through "Stop" and those disabled through the "Disable all" option. Adding this distinction is not something that I think should be done, because it will only serve to complicate things.

"Disable all backups" was always meant to be an emergency option for the "Oh, shit" situations, when you just need to shut down all activity as quickly as possible. And so recovering from this state _is_ a manual process requiring some extra attention and legwork. This is basically by design.

smihai :

Apr 30, 2019

indeed, i used it for "Oh, shit" with great success :))

Doequer :

May 01, 2019

OK, I simply forgot I could select them all and just enabling them. Although an "Enable all backups" option would still come handy.

Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

May 01, 2019

PS. You can Ctrl-Left-Click on empty space in the toolbar and it will select all jobs.

Doequer :

May 01, 2019

I didn't know that one. It is useful indeed.

By the way, did you thought off sometime of letting the user adds additional buttons to the toolbar? I mean, besides the "Go" and the "Stop" buttons only.

Alex Pankratov :

May 01, 2019

I am firmly against that.

Doequer :

May 01, 2019

Most times I think that in order to do tasks, moreover repetitive ones, the less amount of clicks the better. And while in the case of this program is still quite simple to accomplish desired tasks, seeing there is a plenty of empty space over there, I thought why not adding more kind of "shortcuts" buttons to it? But knowing the design of the program goes the "minimalist" way, your decision about that matter is not surprising. LOL

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy