The support forum

Issue with Google Backup and Sync

gkinrade :

Mar 05, 2019

My setup at home is that I have Bvckup 2 back up selected files and folders from my main RAID array to a separate HDD every few hours and then have Google Backup and Sync backup up everything on that separate HDD to my Google Drive - it's set up this way so that not all of my files are backed up to the cloud and it's not possible to have Google B&S only back up the files / file types that I want.  

I have been having getting "Error: access denied MoveFileEx() failed with 5" errors from Bvckup 2 recently.  I believe that it is only with files that have been created previously and then recently edited (so not new files).  I have checked that permissions are set correctly and I can't see anything wrong with them.  The only way that I can get Bvckup 2 to successfully complete the backup is to shut down Google Backup and Sync, manually run the backup, and then start B&S again.  It is almost as if Google Backup and Sync is blocking access to the files or folders it is syncing although I cannot tell how or why.  

Is this an issue that anyone else has logged?  I cannot find reference to it anywhere.  Is there any fix for this?

Thanks

GK

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 05, 2019

This is not a known issue, no.

For files that aren't yet in the backup, the program will first copy them into a temporary file and then rename in place after that. The latter is done with MoveFile, which is where this error most likely comes from. In terms of why it happens, I would guess that GD is locking fresh files for its internal processing right after they are created and all references to them are released... that is, it manages to grab the file to itself before bvckup2 gets a chance to rename it in place.

You can work around this by disabling this 2-phase copying. This is done by adding the following override to the job:

conf.copying.use_staged_copier   0

See here for how to do this - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1140

gkinrade :

Mar 05, 2019

Thanks - I'll give that a go and then report back.  In case it makes a difference or in case I didn't explain myself correctly this issue is with files that have been previously created and backed up and then edited on a later date rather than files created and then backed up whilst still being worked on.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 05, 2019

Yep, OK. I forgot to mention that the same two-step copying is also used for smaller files that don't qualify for delta copying, so the override will apply to updating of the existing files as well.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy