The support forum

Looping

Goastler4 :

Sep 10, 2013

Hi,
Yesterday I did a fresh install of windows 7 pro on one of my machines. I installed bvckup 2 release 31 for all 3 of the users on that PC, and created one backup job each, simply backing up their user profile to a secondary hard drive, obviously excluding the appdata folder. For every user, and every backup job, even test ones I have made, the job loops. Everytime a job finishes it just says "Changes detected... etc" and goes again. This is very odd considering no files are being changed at all for any backup, yet bvckup reckons there are, and it is occurring on every backup, even new ones I create.

Bvckup 2 has been running perfectly on every other machine I own, I don't know what's wrong. Help?

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 10, 2013

The answer is pretty simple - some program or system service is touching some of the files profiles directories. What it is exactly is anyone's guess, but you can check exactly by using Process Monitor from SysInternals - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 10, 2013

... *in* profiles directories ...

Goastler4 :

Sep 19, 2013

I'm don't think it's an external program though, I believe its the weird "My Documents" shortcuts in the user's documents folder. I've spent my spare time troubleshooting this and got it down to two backup jobs, the one that loops that includes the whole user folder and the my documents backup, which also loops. If I turn on "See system files" there's some weird shortcuts to each of the media folders for the user. I've read article about how these a system links to the my documents folder, my videos, etc..., which would be a reason for it looping as it was effectively backing up a folder with symlinks in to another folder it's already backed up. If that makes sense.  How can I avoid these files? The filter doesn't display any of them, and because they're displayed as shortcuts they don't have an extension so I can't filter that property out.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 20, 2013

There's a big chunk of code dedicated to comprehension of symlinks. It can do a lot of things, but as of now it simply ignores all symlinks that point somewhere in the source location and it can either ignore or follow links that point outside (this is controlled in the More Options part of the backup config). It does not copy symlinks.

Here's a longer write-up on this - http://bvckup2.com/news/02-11-2012

I am still convinced that in your case there's some other app that periodically touches its data files. I would try and see which one.

Get the ProcMon utility I mentioned above (it's from the person who wrote a canonical book on Windows Internals and who now works for Microsoft), when it starts, add two filters

<Event Class> <is> <File System>
<Path> <contains> --Your-Source-Location-Path--

It should look like this - http://swapped.cc/tmp/procmon-config.png . Then let it run and see which files are being touched by which program when Bvckup logs "Changes detected".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Goastler4 :

Sep 20, 2013

Okay cheers, I'll give that a try and report back

johnseers :

Oct 29, 2017

This thread is quite old. Any progress on what caused it?

I have just hit this problem installing bvckup2 for a friend on a brand new HP Windows 10 laptop. So nothing installed yet of interest.

Running just a basic backup of his C:\Users\username directory.

It includes OneDrive so I have tried excluding that. Tried excluding various things. Ran out of time and will try and fix it next time he does not need his laptop.

Perhaps these tools will work on Windows 10 or I can find equivalents.

I will report back if I can.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 29, 2017

What are the symptoms exactly?

Back-to-backup backup runs with "No changes detected"? Then it's either due to the changes to files that are excluded by default (e.g. *.tmp) or temporary short-lived files being created and promptly removed between the backup runs.

Generally speaking, it's better to NOT use run-time scheduling on larger trees, especially when they include folders used for hosting system-wide temporary files. Use periodic backups instead or pace your real-time job using "Minimum pause between the backups" option in real-time option "Details".

johnseers :

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for the advice/suggestions.

The thing is this does not happen on the other setups of bvckup2 I have so I am a bit surprised.

The reason I use run-time scheduling is because it is a removable disk for the backup and I want him, for ease of use, to just plug in his USB HDD periodically and thus backup any changes. I guess I can simulate that with the options you suggest. As it is a removable drive it is not really a problem - it is just a bit annoying it does not work smoothly and automatically as I am used to.

Next time I get my hands on his laptop I will investigate further.

I have looked at ProcMon and it works on Windows 10. Slightly puzzled by it because if I change a file in the source directory I can see the events being recorded in the destination backup but not in the source. Probably my lack of skill with the package so I will experiment a bit more.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 29, 2017

to just plug in his USB HDD periodically and thus backup any changes.

There are two options to achieve this w/o needing a real-time job.

1. https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/973/5527 (just use this one)
2. https://bvckup2.com/wip/04102013

johnseers :

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks, yes. I imagined something like this from your earlier suggestions.

I guess I am just too carried away with the perfection of backing up as soon as needed. If you wait 6 hours there is a window of vulnerability when something is not duplicated. The sky will not fall though.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 29, 2017

To be clear, with "1. (just use this one)" I was referring to the " conf.run_on_device_arrival" option from the linked post.

johnseers :

Nov 11, 2017

Having now altered my removable disks backups to do what you suggest I am now clearer why I would like to use continuous backup (or something similar). Not just that it is a "perfection" solution to use continuous!

Remembering that I am recommending and installing bvckup2 for friends who want a good and easy backup solution and they are not technically very savvy. I want a seamless solution. That is they plug in their removable disk, wait a while, and unload it as per Windows 10.  Job done.

The problem with the scheduled service is it marks the backup as "In error" and flashes icons at the user. Not seamless at all. They then think it is not working and then all the attendant fuss to sort that out.

How about a "quiet" option on the scheduled removable disk backup?

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 12, 2017

You have a couple of options.

1. Set your backup jobs to _manual_ type. They will still be run when an external drive shows up (if you have conf.run_on_device_arrival enabled).

2. Keep them _scheduled_, but suppress the "missed a backup run" errors. This is possible by using so-called "grace period" option - when set, it will force the backup engine to NOT report missed runs as errors if they occur within specified period after the last successful run.

Setting "grace period" to, say, 1 year you will effectively disable error reporting for "missed runs". This is a per-job option and it is called "conf.missed_run.grace_period". It can be set as follows:

conf.missed_run.grace_period    52 weeks

See https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/769/4219, item 5.d

johnseers :

Nov 12, 2017

That looks promising. Thanks. I will give it a try.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms