The support forum

OneDrive - Error: source location access denied

Ixolite :

May 27, 2018

I started getting this error yesterday in Checking source location step. It's a  separate backup job for a single file in main OneDrive folder. I thought it might have something to do with cloud syncing, but I keep getting this error even with OneDrive application turned off.

It might have started after update to Release 79.3, judging by the timestamps.

Alex Pankratov :

May 27, 2018

Access denied means just that - access denied.

See if bvckup2.exe is whitelisted with your antiviruses and security software. Sometimes this is not easy to do, so you can try uninstalling the program (selecting to keep the configuration data) and installing it again - this tends to help, because some antiviruses have a knee-jerk reaction to programs downloading and running other programs (even if these are just newer versions of themselves).

Ixolite :

May 30, 2018

So it's not anti-virus - I only have Windows Defender running and disabling it did not make a difference. I had time to do some testing today and it looks like only the main OneDrive folder is affected - I get the error for any file in it. Sub folders are still backing up fine, so I can work around it.

I didn't change any permissions to the folder so I don't think it's something that I knowingly did, other than updating Bvckup. I can't see any recent updates for OneDrive, tho I might be missing a silent one.

Is there any way to downgrade to older version? I could rule the update out then.

Alex Pankratov :

May 31, 2018

Good idea. Here's the last release from the 78 series -
https://bvckup2.com/get/release-78

Ixolite :

May 31, 2018

78.20 gives that error as well, updated to 79.4 and no luck there either. I think we can safely assume it wasn't the Bvckup update.

I am not massively bothered by this but if I have some free time I can try and check what else changed when that error started showing up.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 01, 2018

TBH, it looks like another OneDrive bug. I'd consider waiting for the next Windows update and see if it magically resolves itself.

Ixolite :

Jun 01, 2018

Yeah, probably is. I most likely won't remember to check back if it started working again, since I just changed the backup job setup to use a subfolder. Thanks for your time anyway :)

Ixolite :

Aug 14, 2018

Well, FYI, it fixed itself some time ago so all is good now :) Looks like it was just OneDrive or Windows shenanigans.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms