The support forum

Few questions about service mode

cremor :

May 19, 2018

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Bvckup 2 for home use. So far it seems very good, but I have a few questions:

1. What's the difference between running the service as local system or with its own user?

2. Are there no notifications when the service is running, but the GUI isn't? I mean notifications like about new updates or when an error occurs.

3. Is there a reason why the automatic update setting is hidden behind "more"? Could something bad happen with that, especially in combination with my previous question (so if no GUI is running)?

I think I also found a few small bugs:

1. When service mode is active, the GUI always starts minimized, even if that option is turned off.

2. It seems like the option "Show switch mode option" can't be turned off while in service mode. Each time the GUI is restarted it's enabled again.

3. Maybe that's by design, but I noticed that minor versions are not shown in the GUI. E.g. the about dialog shows 79 when I'm on 79.0.4 (verified in the exe file properties). This also affects the changes shown in the update window. E.g. I started with 79.0.4 and now it offers to update to 79.1. But when I compare the changes shown in the GUI with those in https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1060 it seems like it shows me all changes from 79 to 79.1.

cremor :

May 19, 2018

Oh, and another question. I just saw the entry "Support for running in a service mode" in the professional license box on the purchase page. Does that mean that I can't use service mode with a personal license?

Alex Pankratov :

May 20, 2018

1. What's the difference between running the service as local system or with its own user?

Using own user is more predictable, because permissions/privileges of LocalSystem account may vary between the machines. It also makes things easier when you want to put bvckup2-specific security provisions in place, e.g. restrict write access to the backup directory to bvckup2 service only (which in turn may be used to protect backups from cryptoware attacks).

2. Are there no notifications when the service is running, but the GUI isn't? I mean notifications like about new updates or when an error occurs.

Correct.

3. Is there a reason why the automatic update setting is hidden behind "more"? Could something bad happen with that, especially in combination with my previous question (so if no GUI is running)?

Ah, no. It's like that for historical reasons, because it was added much later on in the process.

--

1. When service mode is active, the GUI always starts minimized, even if that option is turned off.

Can't reproduce this right now, but will give it another try on Monday.

2. It seems like the option "Show switch mode option" can't be turned off while in service mode. Each time the GUI is restarted it's enabled again.

This is by design.

In fact, we should disable this option when in service mode. Hmm... or maybe not. Not sure why would anyone want to hide this option in service mode, but I see no reason to prevent them from doing that. Good catch, we'll change that.

3. Maybe that's by design, but I noticed that minor versions are not shown in the GUI.

It is by design as well. The version numbering is as follows:

*  78, 79, 80 are the feature releases
*  79.0, 79.1, 79.2 are the maintenance releases;
    these are pushed through the in-app updates
*  79.0.1, 79.0.2, 79.0.3 are the "hotfixes";
    these patch issues affecting select few users and
    these are are NOT announced through the in-app updates

But when I compare the changes shown in the GUI with those in [snip] it seems like it shows me all changes from 79 to 79.1.

Correct, will need to fix this at some point.

Does that mean that I can't use service mode with a personal license?

No, it doesn't. It means that if you switch to service mode under a personal license, you will receive no support for any issues stemming from that.

cremor :

May 20, 2018

Thanks for your answers!

A few additional comments:

Can't reproduce this right now, but will give it another try on Monday.

Although it always starts minimized for me, I noticed one difference: When the option is disabled, I get a notification saying "Up and running, minimized here". If the option is enabled, it starts without a notification.

Not sure why would anyone want to hide this option in service mode, but I see no reason to prevent them from doing that.

I had no really good reason. I just thought that I'll never use it without service mode, so I could as well hide the menu item again. But of course it also doesn't bother me if the option is there.

Alex Pankratov :

May 21, 2018

Although it always starts minimized for me, I noticed one difference: When the option is disabled, I get a notification saying "Up and running, minimized here". If the option is enabled, it starts without a notification.

This is normal.

GUI always starts in a state that it was last in when it exited the last time. In your case, does it start minimized even if it was not minimized when it exited?

cremor :

May 21, 2018

Ah, you are right, that's it. If I close the GUI process while the window is open, it starts with a visible window. Seems like I always closed the window first when I tried this before.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Blog / RSS
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms