The support forum

bvckup vs windows software RAID1

mastershakes :

Apr 13, 2018

I'm currently using windows 7 and its software RAID1 (mirroring).  I have to switch systems and the array.  Which got me thinking instead of recreating the array on the new system what about using Bvckup to do continuous mirror backups.

I've been trying to think of cons for Bvckup but haven't thought of any.  Can anyone think of any downsides to using Bvckup instead of Windows mirroring?

It seems I would have a bit more control with Bvckup vs software RAID.  I did some searches here and didn't see anyone using Bvckup like this.  If it helps any the drives are both 8TB and about half full.

Thanks for any input!

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 15, 2018

A couple of points.

Bvckup2 does a *near* real-time mirroring. There's a delay of several seconds before changes to A are replicated to B. With RAID1, software or hardware, there's no delay.

With RAID1 both copies of the data are created from the original data when it's being written to the array. With Bvckup2 the secondary copy is created from the master copy, meaning that should the latter get bitrot or media errors, these errors may end up getting replicated to the second copy. With RAID1 only one copy will get the errors... though this is more of moot point, because RAID1 has no provisions for detecting or recovering from partial data corruption.

mastershakes :

Apr 16, 2018

Thanks for the feedback Alex!  I may stick with RAID for this application.

I still recommend Bvckup to all my clients though.  

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Blog / RSS
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms