The support forum

CreateDirectory() failed with 267

andreahm :

Jan 14, 2018

Hello, I keep getting this error when the files try to write on "$Archive of Deleted Items (Bvckup)", is there an easy fix? Why I never got this and now it started doing it?

Thank you.

andreahm :

Jan 14, 2018

When i run the backup again it scans the destination files again, it takes long time, is there a way I can erase the delta files and recreate all of them once again without re-copying all the files again? I think that may be one of the issues of that error msg.

andreahm :

Jan 14, 2018

Sorry for rushing, I think the issue is fixed by replacing the "deltas" folder with the one originally created with the USB backup, the HD was moved to a router to be used as NAS. All the files are scanned, copied and no errors now.

Now, another question, if I change the backup from "Use delta copying" to "Copy files in full" and delete the deltas folder, will the backup re-copy all the files or just scan by filename and date and copy only what's not in the destination?

Thank you again.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 15, 2018

Now, another question, if I change the backup from "Use delta copying" to "Copy files in full" and delete the deltas folder, will the backup re-copy all the files or just scan by filename and date and copy only what's not in the destination?

No, it won't. This option merely controls how files are copied IF they are detected to be modified. And the latter is done by a separate piece of logic.

andreahm :

Jan 16, 2018

Hi, thanks for the reply, here you say "merely" like it's not as good as the delta backup but in the backup description the job is described as "as good as it gets", is it better/more reliable than the Delta or not?

Just launched the manual backup tonight and again I got the "CreateDirectory() failed with 267" error message. What does 267 mean?

Thank you.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 16, 2018

Error 267 means "The directory name is invalid." I don't think I've ever seen this one before, but my guess would be that you are backing up onto some storage device that doesn't implement basic file system API in full. What's the exact directory name that triggers this error?

I don't understand your leading question though. There are two separate parts of the backup engine. One decides if a file needs to be backed up and another that's responsible for actually backing it up. "Copying" preference is for the latter. If you change it, it makes no difference to the first part - it will still decided what to back up the same way as before.

andreahm :

Jan 16, 2018

The error is only the first time I launch it, the second time it starts the rescan from 500GB+ then it copies everything it needs to be copied and it also moves the deleted file into the "$Archive of Deleted Items (Bvckup)" folder.

I am trying to copy some folder from "D:" to "\\router\BAK1\SD". Few days ago I change the router from ASUS AC-1900P (AC-RT68U) to RT-AC86U, I noticed this new one has SMB2 in the protocol and I don't remember if the old one had it but I am not sure that makes any difference.

Here are few of the errors in the last backup:

2018.01.16 00:33:52.826 (UTC-7) 2 2         2. Archiving file Andrea\Dropbox\bvckup2-settings 2018-01-08.zip
2018.01.16 00:33:52.827 (UTC-7) 3 3             Creating \\router\BAK1\SD\$Archive of Deleted Items (Bvckup)\Andrea\Dropbox
2018.01.16 00:33:52.830 (UTC-7) 0 4                 CreateDirectory() failed with 267
2018.01.16 00:33:52.830 (UTC-7) 3 5                     Context: \\router\BAK1\SD\$Archive of Deleted Items (Bvckup)\Andrea\Dropbox

2018.01.16 00:33:52.830 (UTC-7) 2 2         3. Creating folder Music\Andrea\The Stranglers
2018.01.16 00:33:52.855 (UTC-7) 0 3             CreateDirectory() failed with 267
2018.01.16 00:33:52.855 (UTC-7) 3 4                 Context: \\?\UNC\router\BAK1\SD\Music\Andrea\The Stranglers

2018.01.16 00:33:52.855 (UTC-7) 2 2         5. Creating folder Music\Andrea\The Stranglers\Compilation\2002 - Peaches- The Very Best Of (Compilation)
2018.01.16 00:33:52.855 (UTC-7) 0 3             Prerequisite step 4 wasn't completed. Skipped.

2018.01.16 00:33:52.855 (UTC-7) 2 2         10. Copying file Music\Andrea\The Stranglers\Compilation\2002 - Peaches- The Very Best Of (Compilation)\01. Peaches.flac
2018.01.16 00:33:52.855 (UTC-7) 0 3             Prerequisite step 5 wasn't completed. Skipped.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 16, 2018

I can't help you with this, I'm afraid.

This is some quirk in your router's firmware and I don't see any obvious way to work around it. My only guess would've been that it didn't like $ in $Archive, but you have the same error logged for other folders, so I really don't know what it doesn't like.

Your best bet now would be to report this to ASUS and see what they have to say.

andreahm :

Jan 16, 2018

I was thinking it may be something with the permissions on the drive but then the second time it just works so, let's see, I'll wait for another stable release, maybe reformat the backup drive to set the permissions just for this router I guess.

Anyway, I am thinking to switch all my customers to Bvckup, great great software, thank you for creating such a simple one.

andreahm :

Jan 16, 2018

*Stable release of the FW I mean. Later, thank you again.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 16, 2018

Aye, sounds good to me.

PS. I suspect this is due to some temporary locks that the router firmware puts in place... perhaps as a part of re-indexing of newly created folders or something like this. Maybe check if there are any relevant options in its configuration?

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms