The support forum

Files from destination disappeared

dzieciou :

Nov 27, 2017

I have just upgraded Bvckup to 78.13 version.

I have also removed my USB disk and connected it again that played a role of a destination for backup

All files disppared from the backup folder in USB disk. Outside of this folder files are present.

I have forced the backup job to run: Context Menu > Command > Run. It does not find any differences to copy.

Fortunatelly, I have all original files still but where is my backup folder?

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 27, 2017

Fortunatelly, I have all original files still but where is my backup folder?

Have you changed Backup Settings > Deleting from its default setting?

If you didn't, then it wasn't Bvckup 2 that deleted your files.

If you, then it might've been it, but then you should have all the details in the backup log.

dzieciou :

Nov 27, 2017

Thank you. I haven't changed any settings.

I will need to monitor in the future what else could have caused that problem, but it is still strange that only files in the destination folder disappeared.

dzieciou :

Nov 27, 2017

What I've  tried:
1. I have forced the backup job to run: Context Menu > Command > Run. It does not find any differences to copy.
2. I cloned the backup job with a different destination on the same USB disk and works fine.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 27, 2017

By default a backup job will assume that destination folder doesn't change between the runs, so it will cache its file index and will *not* rescan destination on every run.

This is controlled by "Backup Settings" > "Detecting Changes" setting. There is a short description of both available options, have a look.

If destination does change, then you will need to tell the program to rescan it afresh. You can either change "Detecting Changes" to "Re-scan" or you can force a one-time rescan by starting the backup using Ctrl-Go. That is, press and hold Control and then click on Go button. Holding Ctrl down tells the program to purge all cache data and re-query everything, including the index of destination files.

dzieciou :

Nov 27, 2017

Thank you for your exhaustive response.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy